Malky Mackay has been recognised by the League Manager’s Association (LMA) by being awarded the 2013 Championship Manager of the Year award.
The award comes after the Cardiff City manager led the Welsh capital club to the top of the league table in November and holding that position for the rest of the season, despite the difficult, combative and unforgiving nature of the division.
“I am just very proud of the whole club – a lot of people in the last two years have put hard work into building this,” he said on receipt of the award.
All at Cardiff City congratulate Malky on his award, which is just reward for his incredible contribution to the club since his arrival almost two years ago. The 2012/13 season will be long remembered and celebrated by all connected with the club, thanks to the dedication and hard work of many good people, led by the manager’s fine example.
Richard Bevan, Chief Executive of the LMA, said: “Tonight is a celebration of this season’s managerial achievements across the top four leagues in the professional game. Massive congratulations are due to all award winners this evening as to receive votes from and to be acknowledged by your fellow managers and competitors is a great honour.”
The full list of awards presented on the evening is as follows:
• LMA Manager of the Year sponsored by Barclays – Sir Alex Ferguson CBE, Manchester United
• LMA Special Merit Award sponsored by Barclays – Roberto Di Matteo
• LMA Special Merit Award sponsored by npower – Phil Parkinson, Bradford City
• LMA Service to Football Award sponsored by npower – John Bowler, Crewe Alexandra
• Barclays Premier League Manager of the Year – Sir Alex Ferguson CBE, Manchester United
npower Football League Championship Manager of the Year – Malky Mackay, Cardiff City•
• npower Football League 1 Manager of the Year – Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town
• npower Football League 2 Manager of the Year – Martin Allen, Gillingham
• Budweiser FA Cup Manager of the Year – Roberto Martinez, Wigan Athletic
• LMA 1000 Club inductees – Roy Hodson and Lawrie McMenemy MBE