Club News

City fight-back but Rangers hold on for the points



Cardiff City’s Development side fell to a 2-1 loss at Queen's Park Rangers on Monday at Harlington training ground.


performing heroics in the City goal to deny both players.Joe LewisThe hosts began the game stronger with Frankie Sutherland and Ali Faurlin both going close in the opening moments,


Filip Kisscame closest for City in the first half when he struck a right footed drive from twenty yards that went just wide of Brian Murphy’s post.


The first goal of the game went to the hosts after a penalty was given, Faurlin going down under pressure in the box. Sutherland stepped up and although Lewis kept out his penalty, he couldn’t stop Sutherland from slotting in the rebound.


After the break the home side went two goals ahead through Tom Hitchcock, the forward heading home after a defensive mix up stopped the City back line from clearing the loose ball.


But the young City players didn’t stop fighting to get back into the game and reduced the deficit with seven minutes remaining when Luke Coulson finished off a quick break away with a clinical right footed finish.


The comeback happened perhaps a little too late though, as the referee blew for full time with City the superior side in the closing stages.


 Chronological Report


In front of new manager Harry Redknapp, the hosts started with first team professionals Anton Ferdinand, Fabio Da Silva and Ali Faurlin all in their starting line-up.


named. Etien Velikonja and Filip Kiss, Stephen McPhail, Joe LewisCity began the game with some experienced professionals themselves, with

But was the home side though that began the stronger with Tom Hitchcock having the first shot at goal within the opening two minutes after being played in on the left wing. The forward's composed right footed curling drive was well saved by Lewis.


The goalkeeper was soon in action again to deny midfielder Ali Faurlin. The Argentine snuck ahead of the City defence and volleyed towards goal from inside the area, only for Lewis to dive incredibly well to his left and push the ball out for a corner. The shots were coming in thick and fast from the home team, with Michael Doughty the next to try his luck - this time his attempt flew wide of City’s goal.


was the next City player to have a shot at goal only for his volley to fly over the bar.Theo Wharton pulled an incredible dummy in the build up to the strike which gave Kiss a chance to drive a shot low from twenty five yards. Gethyn HillCity created their first real chance of the game after twenty five minutes when Kiss shot just wide of Brian Murphy’s right hand post.


It was after this spell of pressure that the first goal was finally scored, but it was the home side that took the lead. Faurlin was deemed to have been brought down in the box and up stepped Frankie Sutherland; his penalty was extremely well saved by Lewis to his left, only for Sutherland to slot home the rebound.


GOAL! QUEEN'S PARK RANGERS DVP 1-0 CARDIFF CITY DVP (Frankie Sutherland, 31 mins)


was the man on hand to intercept a dangerous cross and stop QPR from going further ahead.Adedeji OshilajaThe Hoops came close to increasing their lead with five minutes to go to half time;


A well worked corner involving Stephen McPhail gave Nugent a headed opportunity in front of goal, but the defender couldn’t adjust his body quickly enough with his header always rising over the crossbar.Ben Nugent.Just before the end of the first half City had a good opportunity to level the scores through




The second half began with another chance for the home side; Fabio (on loan from Manchester United) snuck behind the City defence and from a wide angle poked the ball towards goal only for Lewis to deny the full back.

Etien Velikonja was looking for his sixth goal of the season for the development side and he came closest on fifty three minutes. After beating his defender, the Slovenian forward drove towards goal at pace. He shot on target, but a deflection took most of the sting off the ball before it reached Murphy who held the attempt well.


Despite a positive start to the second half City found themselves two goals down on fifty nine minutes. A bouncing ball into the penalty area troubled the away defence and after they failed to clear, Tom Hitchcock stole in and headed the ball into the top corner. It was a soft goal for City to concede after a decent spell of pressure.




Substitute Cardiff: Anthony Bell replaces Kane Owen (72 mins)


who sprinted towards goal; under pressure from the Hoops defence, Coulson showed great composure in unleashing a shot that although Murphy got a hand to, he couldn’t keep out.Luke Coulson played the ball through for Anthony BellAlthough they were two goals behind, City weren't giving up. Stephen McPhail’s presence in midfield was proving key and with seven minutes to go, City managed to pull themselves back into the game after a strong counter attack. Substitute




 City piled the pressure on their hosts in search of an equaliser; the closest they came to a second goal was when Hill attempted the spectacular with two minutes to go. The striker attempted a bicycle kick from the right side of the penalty area; his shot dipped at the final moment with Murphy scrambling to make sure the shot went over the bar.


Although it will go down as a loss for City, there were plenty of positives to take from the game. Kevin Cooper’s young side competed extremely well against a more experienced and strong Queen's Park Rangers side, McPhail controlling the game from his central midfield role in a very composed and impressive performance.




Cardiff City: Liam Matthews, Ibrahim Mansaray, Jaye Bowen, Curtis Watkins.Subs Not Used:Joe Lewis, Luke Coulson, Declan John, Ben Nugent, Deji Oshilaja, Stephen McPhail, Theo Wharton, Kane Owen (Anthony Bell, 72), Filip Kiss, Gethyn Hill, Etien Velikonja