Club News

Maynard and Gestede goals secure third round tie against West Ham

TWO quickfire goals in a single second-half minute was enough to secure Cardiff City's progress into the third round of the Capital One Cup as they saw off League Two side Accrington Stanley 2-0 at the Store First Stadium.

Looking much the Premier League outfit in the second-half, the Bluebirds took the lead through a delightful Nicky Maynard effort, a quick flick and turn losing his marker before applying the clinical finish to put City ahead. Less than a minute later, substitute Rudy Gestede had doubled City's advantage, applying the finish to a lovely low cross in from Jordon Mutch and put Cardiff in control of the tie.

The only negative came as the first-half came to a close, Danish forward Andreas Cornelius forced off through injury in his first competitive start for the club.

Cornelius was one of eleven changes to the line-up that brilliantly saw off Manchester City at Cardiff City Stadium on Sunday, with a competitive debut starts for Danish frontman Andreas Cornelius and John Brayford.

The game started in a classic cup atmosphere, generated by a tightly packed Store First Stadium and a vocal home Stanley support; however it was a game where chances were few and far between.

City, looking very much the Premier League outfit at times in the early stages, controlled possession and passed the ball around convincingly at times without providing the clinical pass to open up Stanley's defence.

And despite having much of the play, it was the home side who had the first real chance; Joe Lewis forced into a quick save and parry as he palmed away former Rangers man Kal Naismith's shot, before denying Will Hatfield on the rebound.

City instantly responded with their best effort, Mark Hudson meeting an excellent corner in from Don Cowie at the far post only to see it stabbed away at the near post by Stanley defender Luke Joyce.

The half ended on a more worrying note as Cornelius was forced to depart on a stretcher, the Danish striker down clutching his ankle after a strong challenge. Rudy Gestede replaced him.

HALF TIME - Accrington Stanley 0-0 Cardiff City

No changes for either side at the break, but the home side quickly went in search of the opener on the night. Will Hatfield finding space in the area, only to see his shot deflected over the bar by McNaughton.

Just a few minutes later the Bluebirds should've been ahead. Nicky Maynard doing well to make the most of a Noone through ball to round the 'keeper and bend a cross in towards the far post, Smith met it only to see his effort deflected off the line by Stanley defender Rob Atkinson.

City were looking much the Premier league outfit in the second period and took the lead just after the hour mark. Maynard producing a quite fantastic flick, turn and finish to see off his marker before cooly slotting home.

Within a minute, the Bluebirds had doubled their lead, Gestede left with the chance to finish from a fantastic low cross in from Mutch. Two goals in a minute had firmly put the Bluebirds in control of the tie.

Gestede had chances to add to his tally as John provided the delivery from the left on two occasions only miss the header.

Full-time: Accrington Stanley 0-2 Cardiff City

Teams - Accrington Stanley: Bettinelli; Murphy, Liddle, Joyce, Aldred; Richardson, Clark, Mingoia (Carver 71), Atkinson, Naismith (Mahoney 71); Hatfield. Subs not used: Wilson, McCarten, Cray, Windass, Jenkins.

Cardiff City: Lewis; Brayford, Hudson, McNaughton, John; Smith (Conway 65), Mutch, Cowie, Noone; Maynard (Mason 74), Cornelius (Gestede 44). Subs not used: Moore; Lappin, Harris, Oshilaja.