PREVIEW: CARDIFF CITY v FULHAM
The Bluebirds take on the Cottagers at Cardiff City StadiumCardiff City v Fulham
Venue: Cardiff City Stadium
Date: Saturday, 8th March, KO 3pm
Match-tag: #CARvFUL (Live tweets on @CardiffCityFC)
LISTEN LIVE AND FOR FREE WITH OUR 14-DAY TRIAL OF CARDIFF CITY PLAYER
Cardiff City take on Fulham to Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday as they look for three vital points in their quest for Barclays Premier League survival.
- Cardiff have the best disciplinary record in the top-flight picking up just 34 yellow cards and no reds.
- Fulham have gone 13 Barclays Premier League away matches without a clean sheet.
- Four of the last five matches between Cardiff and Fulham have ended with a 2-1 scoreline.
- Fulham have won one and lost seven of their last 10 Barclays Premier League away games (D2).
- Only Fulham (181) have allowed their opponents more shots on target against them than Cardiff City this season (165) in the Premier League.
- City have scored 74% of their goals in the second half of games; the highest percentage in the top tier.
- Fulham have conceded 68% of their goals in the second half of this season; the highest proportion in the Premier League.
- Cardiff are the only team in the Premier League that are yet to give away or win a penalty kick this season.
KEY PLAYER: Steve Sidwell
An ever present in the Fulham midfield this season, Steve Sidwell’s six Premier League goals tops the Cottagers’ scoring charts so far having set up a successful partnership with summer arrival Scott Parker in the Fulham engine room.
ONE TO WATCH: Kostas Mitroglou
The Cottagers’ record signing has played just 29 minutes for the club since arriving from Greek side Olympiakos. Edging ever closer to a return to action in recent weeks, the visitors will hope the Greek International can provide the goals to see them to safety this season.
RECENT FORM (ALL COMPETITIONS):
Cardiff City: WLDLLL
Last time out: Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Cardiff City – Sunday, 2nd March, Barclays Premier League.
Roberto Soldado’s first half goal was enough to secure maximum points for Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Sunday, the Spaniards counter-attacking strike replicating the one-nil scoreline from Cardiff City Stadium earlier in the season.
Team - Cardiff City: Marshall, Fabio (Jones, 72), Caulker, Cala, Turner, John, Medel, Gunnarsson (Mutch, 63), Kim; Campbell, Bellamy (Daehli, 63). Subs not used: Lewis, Cowie, Theophile, Zaha.
Last time out: Fulham 1-3 Chelsea – Saturday 1st March, Barclays Premier League
A second half hat-trick from Chelsea’s André Schürrle ensured the table topping Blues all three points at Craven Cottage and condemn the home side to a ninth game without a win in all competitions.
Team – Fulham: Stekelenburg, Heitinga, Richardson, Hangeland (Burn, 16), Riether, Sidwell, Parker ( Karagounis, 79), Dejagah, Kasami (Holtby, 62), Bent, Dempsey. Subs not used: Stockdale, Rodallega, Riise, Kvist.
LAST COMPETITIVE MEETING:
2013/14: Saturday, 28th September 2013, Barclays Premier League – Fulham 1-2 Cardiff City
Cardiff City claimed their first away Barclays Premier League victory as Jordon Mutch fired home an unstoppable last minute strike to take all three points from Craven Cottage.
Team - Cardiff City: Marshall; Theophile-Catherine, Turner, Caulker (C), Taylor; Medel, Gunnarsson, Odemwingie (Bellamy), Whittingham, Kim (Mutch), Campbell (Maynard). Subs not used: Lewis; Hudson, Noone, Cowie.
REFEREE: Martin Atkinson
Martin Atkinson began his professional refereeing career at just 16 years of age and has risen through the ranks to become one of the most well respected officials in the Premier League.
He has been a permanent fixture in the Premier League and, after refereeing the 2006 FA Community Shield and 2008 FA Trophy Final, his most notable moment in English football came when he took charge of the 2011 FA Cup Final between Manchester City and Stoke City.
He last officiated at Cardiff City Stadium just last month, taking charge of the Bluebirds’ FA Cup fifth round tie with Wigan Athletic.
WATCH OUR EXCLUSIVE MATCH PREVIEW SHOW IN THE CITY, ON YOUTUBE, BELOW.