Club News

Griffiths nets late equaliser to claim point

A last minute equaliser from Development front man Dane Griffiths secured a 2-2 draw against Ipswich Town and put them eight points clear at the top of the PDL2 South table.

It proved to be quite the comeback for the young Bluebirds after the visitors took a two goal lead in the second half, Amir Berkane slotting home from close range just after the hour mark before former Cardiff City striker Alan Lee netted a quick fire second with his headed effort.

Tommy O'Sullivan quickly responded for City just two minutes later to raise hopes of a turnaround, with Griffiths' excellent turn and shot in stoppage time completing the comeback and claiming a point.

Unbeaten in five heading into Sunday's encounter at a gloriously sunny Cardiff City Stadium, Rhys Healey provided the first threat to the Tractor Boys as he looked to add to his twelve goal league tally. This time his shot would just drift wide however from Tom James' pass.

O'Sullivan, fresh from Under-21 duty with Wales, and Anthony Bell both sent efforts just over soon after, but it was the visitors who came closest to opening the scoring as Omar Sowunmi saw his effort cleared off the line by James.

City were the more dominant side in the first-half however with O'Sullivan going close once more only to see Ipswich stopper Michael Crowe deny his fellow Welshman with the save.

Making a welcome return to face the Bluebirds, former striker Alan Lee, now an Academy coach and player at Portman Road, sent his header just wide. 

There was to be more drama before the interval as Jaye Bowen's shot was turned off the line by Town skipper Kyle Hammond, keeping the scores level at 0-0 going into the break.

HALF TIME: Cardiff City DVP 0-0 Ipswich Town U-21s

A frantic end to the first half made way for an open second period with Healey threatening through a series of long range efforts but could not quite break the deadlock.

They were soon made to pay as Ipswich took the lead through Amir Berkane from close range, before Lee headed home a quick fire second within a minute to double the Tractor Boys' advantage.

With plenty of work now needed from Kevin Cooper's side to avoid defeat against bottom club Ipswich, an instant response was required. They got it as O'Sullivan netted superbly to beat Welsh Under-19 International 'keeper Crowe and pull the Bluebirds back within one.

A number of changes saw Abdi Noor, Robbie Cotton and Macauley Southam introduced as the Bluebirds' chased the equaliser into four minutes of added time at Cardiff City Stadium. It finally came just before time as Griffiths turned brilliantly in the area before slotting home to complete the comeback and secure a vital point for Cooper's side.

As a result, the Bluebirds maintained their place at the top of the PDL 2 South table with an away trip to Brentford on Monday, 24th March next for City's Development side.

FULL TIME: Cardiff City DVP 2-2 Ipswich Town U-21s

Cardiff City DVP: Wilson, Coulson, Owen, Wharton, Yorwerth, James, Bell (Noor 65), Cotton (Griffiths 80), Healey, O'Sullivan, Bowen (Southam 87). Subs not used: Williams, Matthews.