Club News

Cardiff City Academy progressed to the last eight of this season’s FAW Youth Cup with a 7-0 win over Carmarthen Town.

A changed team was named for this cup clash as City’s U18 side took on, and defeated Queens Park Rangers 5-1 in PDL 2 South action just a day earlier. First year professionals David Tutonda, Ben Watkins and Bradley Wickham were welcomed into this U19 cup match squad while U16 stars Jarrad Welch and Lewis Baldwin also took up spots on the bench.

Aidan Chappell-Smith opened the scoring for City, running through on goal and composedly slotting the ball under Town keeper Liam Russell on 21 minutes. Russell had earlier denied skipper for the afternoon Will Taylor from the penalty spot.

Cardiff increased their lead just two minutes later through Lloyd Humphries, the attacking midfielder with a stinging half volley from 15 yards that left Russell with little chance of saving.

Despite their dominance, City were continually denied by the determined Carmarthen defence. First year professional David Tutonda was rewarded for his stand out performance with the Bluebirds third goal on 44 minutes, neatly flicking the ball home at close range following Jamie Bird’s cross goal ball.

The hosts made it four just seconds later with a swift team move, Chappell-Smith again showing a clinical edge in front of goal to add his second of the match and seventh in three FAW Youth Cup ties this season.


Substitution Cardiff City: Lewis Baldwin replaces Samuel Williams (63 mins)

The young City players will have felt they could have won this match by more, with complete control over the tie. Central defender Shane Parry combined well with Ellis Bellamy to power the ball home following a well worked corner kick move on 69 minutes.

Substitution Cardiff City: Jarrad Welch replaces Bradley Wickham (70 mins)

As the game came to a close, the referee made two big calls. Firstly sending off Carmarthen defender Lloyd Davies given a straight red card for fouling Jamie Bird in the penalty box with Taylor this time firing home from the spot, continuing his tradition of scoring in each round this campaign.

The second big decision came two minutes later as Cardiff added a seventh goal. Jamie Bird played a crucial part in City’s attack throughout and scored a deserved goal with six minutes left to play, striking the ball in from 18 yards out. In the aftermath of this goal, midfielder Ben Watkins was shown a second yellow for a tackle during the build up.

Substitution Cardiff City: Dylan Rees replaces David Tutonda (88 mins)

Not the way either team will have wanted to end the match, though City will be happy to secure their spot in the quarter finals for the second consecutive year.


Cardiff City: Massaro, Wickham (Welch, 70), Tutonda (Rees, 88), Watkins, Parry, Williams (Baldwin, 63), Bird, Taylor, Chappell-Smith, Humphries, Bellamy. Subs Not Used: Burridge, Noor.

Carmarthen Town: Russell, Smith (Grota, 46), Brown, Rees, Davies, Harries, James (Howells, 82), Fearn (Cama, 46), Williams, Thomas, Phillips. Subs Not Used: Lewis, Fisher.