Club News

Kevin Nicholson's U21 side continued their strong start to the 2015/16 season, defeating a strong Brentford squad, 3-0, at Cardiff City Stadium on Monday night.

A Matthew Kennedy strike and Rhys Healey brace helped Kevin Nicholson’s side to a third successive win, in which they have scored eleven goals and not conceded.

Bluebirds start quick

City seized the initiative early on and were soon ahead. Matthew Kennedy danced his way inside from the right, beating three defenders and scored in off the post, a wonderful solo effort from the former Everton winger after just ten minutes.

Montell Moore had the Bees first chance of the evening as he saw his shot drag wide via a deflection. The away side were made to rue that missed opportunity as Healey doubled the young Bluebirds advantage He found himself on-on-one thanks to a lofted through ball and finished low past Bonham on the angle after just 16 minutes.

Jan Holldack had a chance to pull one back when he was put through on goal, with City defender Curtis Watkins on hand to deny him in the penalty area.

While the Bees attempted to create chances and threaten the hosts, Nicholson’s side stayed in charge of the match, ensuring they entered the break with a strong two-goal advantage.

Fortress CCS

Five minutes after the restart City went close to adding to the score-line as Healey headed Kennedy’s inviting cross just past the post.

Healey then did brilliantly to control an over hit pass on the by-line and turn his man to cross for Theo Wharton but the midfielder couldn’t find the back of the net from six yards with an hour on the clock.

Curtis Watkins came to the Bluebirds’ rescue once more when he nicked the ball off Holldack just before the striker could get his shot away with twenty minutes to go.

From the resulting corner Healey ran almost the entire length beating one man in the process, but he couldn’t to find the finish to match his brilliant run.

The final moments

After quiet spell, substitute Josh Bohui almost got on the end of a through ball but a combination of Watkins and O’Reilly denied him a clear opportunity. The City stopper was called into action once again moments later as he easily held a Brentford long-shot.

Ten minutes from time, City were awarded a penalty for a foul on Rhys Healey. The striker stepped up himself to take the spot-kick and rolled the ball home to give him his second goal and Cardiff’s third.

Bees captain James Ferry went close to a consolation on 90 minutes with a curling effort, which flew just past the upright. Lively duo Healey and Kennedy both went close in injury time but they could add any gloss to a score-line which meant City secured a third consecutive victory, adding to their recent wins over Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich Town.

FINAL SCORE: CARDIFF CITY 3-0 BRENTFORD (Kennedy,’10, Healey ’16 & ’80)

Cardiff City: O’Reilly, Barnum-Bobb, James (Rees ‘81), Patten, Ajayi, Watkins, Kennedy, Wharton (Burridge ’66), Healey, Southam © (Noor ’72), Roche. Subs Not Used: Wakeman, Blaise.

Brentford: Bonham, Clarke (Laucys ’45), Field, Ferry ©, O’Shaugnessy, Milenge, Moore, Westbrooke (Clayton ’78), Holldack (Bohui ’66), Udumanga, Senior. Subs Not Used: Greene, Jatta.