Club News

Cardiff City’s U18’s side ran out deserved 3-1 winners against Ipswich Town at USW Sport Park on Saturday, 17th October.

Aidan Chppell-Smith, Rollin Menayese and Mark Harris got the goals as the home side got back to winning ways with a comfortable victory.

Quick Start

The young Bluebirds got off to a bright start with captain Rollin Menayese heading the ball against the crossbar early on from Jarrad Welsh’s corner kick.

On five minutes, City had another chance from a corner, this time from the opposite side, but on this occasion Jamie Bird was unable to keep his shot down from a drilled delivery.

However, the future City stars didn’t have to wait long for the first goal after a positive start to the match. Rollin Menayese won the ball in the air at halfway and Welch flicked the ball through to Aidan Chappell-Smith, who raced clear and slotted home past Nick Hayes to give Matthew Bloxham and Jarred Harvey's side the lead.

Striker Elvis Menayese, twin brother of central defender Rollin, then had two chances in quick succession, first with his head and secondly firing over the crossbar.

In Control

After a quiet ten minutes, James Waite's superb volley was saved by a diving Hayes just before the half-hour mark.

Jarrad Welsh, forward from midfield, then had his effort blocked on the edge of the area from goal scorer Chappell-Smith’s pull back. A minute later, Elvis Menayese had his shot saved from a tight angle after beating the defence for pace.

The home side were in firm control, but were surprisingly pegged back against the run of play towards the end of the first half as Connor McKendry forced the ball in at the bar post via a deflection.

Straight after the interval, James Waite stretched but couldn’t direct Elvis Menayese’s low cross goalwards, and from that missed chance City recycled the ball and delivered to Chappell-Smith, whose header was saved.

The striker, who spent time on-loan at Risca United earlier in the season, then had another chance but his shot was saved from Menayese’s ball in.

On 56 minutes, City deservedly took the lead once again when Rollin Menayese (Pictured below with fellow goal-scorer Aidan Chappell-Smith) rose highest to head home a corner into the top-left of the goal.

In The Ascendency

20 minutes from time, Mark Harris extended the young Bluebirds advantage when he curled home from 10 yards. The chance came after good work from Chappell-Smith down the right who played it in to substitute Ibi So Sani, who showed a deft touch in laying the ball off to Harris to finish.

Any sign of an Ipswich comeback was arguably put to bed with fifteen minutes remaining as Luke Woolfenden saw red after an off-the-ball incident with Bluebirds defender Lewis Baldwin.

City continued their dominance against the ten-men of Ipswich, comfortably holding on to ensure a 3-1 victory.


Cardiff City: Wakeman, Kelly, Coxe, Bird, Baldwin, R.Menayese ©, Chappell-Smith, Welch (Young ’84), E.Menayese (So Sani ’69), Waite (Spence ’55), Harris. Subs not used: Parry, Coughlan.

Ipswich Town: Hayes, Yallop (Cathline ’65), Marshall, Downes, Salaudeen, Woolfenden, Jones ©, Maynard (Muamba ’79), Brown (Ingram ’68), Meldrum, McKendry. Subs not used: Wright, Fullwood.