Ffion Price and Hannah Power celebrate at the full-time whistle

Bute Energy Welsh Cup Report | Swansea City 1-3 Cardiff City

Cardiff City Women booked a place in the Bute Energy Welsh Cup Final with a 3-1 victory over Swansea City Women at the SDM Glass Stadium.

Goals from Mikayla Cook, Molly Kehoe and Megan Bowen saw the Bluebirds claim a fantastic win.

Head coach Iain Darbyshire made three changes to the side that defeated Aberystwyth Town in the Adran Trophy last time out, with Hollie Smith, Seren Watkins and Eliza Collie coming into the starting XI.

Cardiff City Women celebrate

City made a bright start and were rewarded for doing so, taking the lead in the eighth minute. Siobhan Walsh’s header found Mikayla Cook, who showed great composure to pick out the bottom corner. Swansea City responded well and equalised with 13 minutes on the clock through Stacey John-Davis, who finished from inside the area.

Despite the leveller, the Bluebirds remained a threat in-behind, as Cook raced through, only to be denied by a last ditch tackle from Sophie Brisland-Hancocks. Late in the half, the Swans had a spell of sustained pressure, as Sammy Wynne’s delivery into the box just evaded Robyn Pinder. After a competitive opening period, it was level at the break.

Molly Kehoe in action for Cardiff City Women

Darbyshire’s side made a positive start to the second half and went close to regaining the lead. Cook was found on the left and squared to Watkins, whose first-time effort was just wide. As the City head coach looked to his bench for reinforcements, midfielder Emma Beynon made her return from injury.

With 20 minutes to go, the Bluebirds went agonisingly close, as captain Siobhan Walsh almost turned the ball home a corner. The key moment came from substitute Kehoe, who pounced on a mistake at the back for the Swans and fired into an empty net in the 84th minute. 

The victory was ensured through centre-back Bowen, who headed home with a minute remaining to book City's place in the Final for the third consecutive season. 


Swansea City: Herbert, Finch, Lake, Cullen, Pinder, Chivers (Turner 87'), Hosford ©, John-Davis, Wynne (K Thomas 75’), Hancocks, Williams. Subs not used: Legall, E Thomas, Harris.

Cardiff City: Chamberlain, Owen, Price, Power, S Walsh ©, Smith (Bowen 67’), Watkins, Adams (Beynon 60’), Oakley, Cook (Kehoe 60’), Collie (Walklett 82’). Subs not used: Phelps.

Iain Darbyshire

After the full-time whistle, head coach Darbyshire spoke to Sgorio.

"It was a difficult game, where both sides had spells of being on top," Iain began. "We knew they were going to be full of confidence after the result they got against us at the end of Phase One. We've been working on a few things and it worked at times today, we still have some areas to improve on, but I thought we outfought them in the second half and took our moments when they came. 

"We knew that we had a strong bench to utilise. They were unlucky not to start but they came on with a positive mindset. They came on and made the difference, I'm so happy for them."