Joe Ralls

Match Report | Bristol City 0-1 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Cardiff City secured Severnside derby bragging rights with a 1-0 victory at Ashton Gate on Saturday afternoon.

Perry Ng's header from a corner-kick proved the difference in Bristol, as City showed their resilience late on to keep a clean sheet and secure all three points.

Erol Bulut made one change to the side that started last time out, with David Turnbull replacing Karlan Grant in the XI.

Kion Etete

The first chance of the match came just after five minutes of play, as the hosts worked their way towards the City area quickly, before crossing low towards the edge of the six-yard box. However, Manolis Siopis read the pass well, and intercepted before clearing.

A few minutes later, some incisive passing from the Bluebirds put Turnbull in a good position on the attack, though his attempted pass through towards Kion Etete couldn’t quite find the striker.

With 20 minutes played, the Robins found themselves on the front foot with a sustained period of pressure around Cardiff City’s area. Threatening from several corner-kicks, Bristol City were unable to convert any real chances, with Ethan Horvath on hand to deny a shot at point-blank range when the hosts were presented with their clearest strike at goal.

Responding at the other end, Josh Bowler cut a pass towards Turnbull, whose shot with his first touch flew past the side netting.

Entering injury time, the Robins created one last chance before the interval, but a low cross into the City area was cut out and cleared well.


After the break, both sides once again battled to create chances, which came at a premium. Jason Knight was presented with the first big opportunity of the half on the hour mark, when he struck on goal following a quick counter by the hosts. His deflected shot was then collected by Horvath.

Turning the tide in the minutes following, City put themselves on the front foot, rightfully going ahead with 25 minutes left to play.

Josh Wilson-Esbrand dribbled into the area before the ball was recycled to Colwill, who won a corner-kick. Stepping up to take the corner, Turnbull’s perfect delivery found Perry Ng, who headed down and on target to break the deadlock and put City in the lead.

Nearly doubling the lead moments later, Yakou Meite linked up well with Colwill, cannoning a strike on goal that was barely caught by Max O’Leary between the sticks.

Rubin Colwill

Settling in to defend the lead for the remainder, the Bluebirds fended off the Robins’ advances when they came in the final 15 minutes. Taylor Gardner-Hickman struck wide with five minutes left, before Dimi Goutas put in a terrific diving header to clear a corner-kick. Substitute Tommy Conway later had the ball in the back of the net, but was quickly ruled offside in the build-up.

Outlasting corner-kick after corner-kick, the Bluebirds showed their resilience in the set-piece, and at the end of six minutes of injury time the final whistle confirmed victory against our Severnside rivals.


Bristol City: O’Leary, McCrorie, Williams, King, Knight, Dickie, Sykes, Wells, Gardner-Hickman, Roberts, Vyner. Subs: Bajic, Pring, Cornick, Mehmeti, Conway, Knight-Lebel, Mebude.

Cardiff City: Horvath, Ng, Goutas, Phillips, Wilson-Esbrand, Siopis, Ralls (C), Turnbull, Bowler, R. Colwill, Etete. Subs: Turner, Romeo, Collins, Wintle, O'Dowda, Tanner, Ashford, Méïté, Diédhiou.