Sheyi Ojo

Match Report | Bristol City 2-0 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Cardiff City fell to defeat in the Severnside derby on Sunday afternoon.

Boss Steve Morison made four changes to the side that drew with West Bromwich Albion in midweek, with Cedric Kipré, Joel Bagan, Romaine Sawyers and Callum O’Dowda coming into the starting XI.

After a tense start, the hosts had a chance to take the lead through Tommy Conway, who was played in on the left by Jay Dasilva. City goalkeeper Ryan Allsop stepped up with a fine save, with Andreas Weimann firing off target from the rebound.

The Robins soon had the ball in the net through Han-Noah Massengo, but the French midfielder took the ball out of the hands of Allsop, with a foul given by the referee.

City grew into the first-half and forced an opportunity, as Sheyi Ojo’s shrewd pass found Sawyers, whose cross from a dangerous position couldn’t quite find a blue shirt.

Morison’s men created a brilliant chance to open the scoring before the interval, as Kipré played a great ball through for Max Watters, who was denied by goalkeeper Dan Bentley.

In another City chance, Sawyers and Kipré combined well in the box, with the latter’s shot hitting the side-netting.

At the other end, the Robins took the lead in the 41st minute, as Conway headed home from Weimann’s cross.The Austrian attacker almost added a second, as his powerful strike from inside the area cannoned off the woodwork.

City responded well, with an intricate move resulting in O’Dowda crossing low for Ojo, who turned home, only to be caught offside, as the hosts went into the break with a 1-0 lead.

Ryan Wintle

In an end-to-end start to the second period, the Robins came close to doubling their lead, as Weimann’s low cross found Dasilva free on the left, who struck into the side-netting. Nigel Pearson’s side had another chance minutes later, as Joe Williams’ powerful drive was goal-bound before a crucial block.

As City searched for an equaliser, Ryan Wintle’s corner was met by Jack Simpson, who headed narrowly over the bar.

In another Bluebirds attack, right-back Mahlon Romeo combined well with O’Dowda, who cut inside and had an effort blocked, before Sawyers struck wide of the post.

The hosts doubled their lead in the 64th minute, as centre-back Atkinson headed home from close-range.

City had a great chance to halve the deficit through substitute Mark Harris, who couldn’t quite convert as he looked to round Bentley. Fellow replacement Jaden Philogene drove well at the Robins defence, but struck wide with an effort on goal.

Despite late pressure from City, Morison’s men couldn’t force a way back into the game. The Bluebirds return to league action next weekend, welcoming Preston North End to Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday August 27th, with kick-off at 3pm.


Bristol City: Bentley, Vyner, Naismith, Atkinson, Williams (King 83’), Massengo (Wilson 87’), Scott, Dasilva, Conway (Martin 79’), Wells (Klose 90+3’).

Subs not used: O’Leary, Pring, Tanner.

Cardiff City: Allsop, Romeo (Etete 83’), Kipré, Ng, Bagan (Simpson 7’), Wintle, Rinomhota (Colwill 65’), Sawyers (Ralls 65’), Ojo (Philogene 57’), O’Dowda, Watters (Harris 57’).

Subs not used: Alnwick.