Burnley report header

Match Report | Cardiff City 1-1 Burnley

Match Reports
Cardiff City came from behind to earn a 1-1 draw against Burnley at Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

An early second-half strike from Nathan Tella gave the Clarets the lead, before a late goal from Callum Robinson saw the Bluebirds claim a share of the spoils in South Wales.  

Interim boss Mark Hudson made three changes to the side that faced Huddersfield Town before the international break, with Joe Ralls, Mark Harris and Sheyi Ojo all coming into the starting eleven.

The Bluebirds made an assured start in possession in the Welsh capital, and created their first chance after just five minutes. Harris stole possession from Josh Cullen deep in Clarets territory, before Robinson produced a strike which flew narrowly wide of goal.

Cedric Kipre

The next opportunity fell to Robinson again just a minute later; the striker's sharp movement enabled him to reach Callum O’Dowda’s whipped, low cross ahead of Jack Cork. Again, however, his effort went over the bar.

Calm and composed in possession, City created another attacking move midway through the first half. A trademark run from O’Dowda saw Ryan Wintle find the Republic of Ireland international with a fantastic ball. However, goalkeeper Arijanet Muric’s starting position allowed him to regain possession.

With the hosts continuing to grow into the contest, Mahlon Romeo produced a great darting run down the right to earn City a corner. From the resulting kick, Ralls’ in-swinging ball found the head of Robinson, but he was unable to guide his header goalward.

The visitors had a chance of their own not long after, when Ryan Allsop did well to deny Cullen from close range after the midfielder found space in the City box.

Just before the break, another great attacking move saw O’Dowda break down the left, but his cross was diverted away from danger by Taylor Harwood-Bellis.

Immediately, Burnley broke well with Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson curling a teasing effort just wide of Allsop’s goal, as the game remained goalless going into the interval.

Burnley Report

Burnley fashioned the early threat when the game resumed, and took an early second-half lead in the 47th minute. Guðmundsson’s high cross from the right found Ian Maatsen on the opposing side, with his pin-point delivery finding Tella, who tucked away from close range to give Vincent Kompany’s side the lead.

Just eight minutes later, Cédric Kipré had to make a brilliant block to prevent Cork an attempt on goal, as the Clarets looked to extend their advantage.

With the Bluebirds searching for an equaliser, Ojo tried to find O’Dowda at the far post in the 60th minute, only for some solid defending from Connor Roberts to deny the winger an opportunity at goal.

That was before Wintle stung the fingertips of Muric moments later, forcing the visiting goalkeeper into a strong save down to his left.

In the 71st minute, a brilliant run inside from Romeo allowed the right-back to let fly with a powerful strike from distance, which Muric, yet again, did well to divert away from danger.  

Hudson introduced Gavin Whyte, Romaine Sawyers and Max Watters in the closing stages in the search for an equalising goal.

And with just one minute of normal time remaining, the Bluebirds managed to achieve their target via Robinson. Romeo picked out the forward with a magnificent ball before the striker's downward header beat Muric for his first goal in City colours.

The Bluebirds return to action on Tuesday evening, hosting Blackburn Rovers at Cardiff City Stadium (8pm KO).


Cardiff City: Allsop; Romeo, Ng, Kipre (Simpson 79), Nkounkou; Ojo (Sawyers 79), Wintle, Ralls (Rinomhota 64), O'Dowda (Whyte 72); Robinson, Harris (Watters 72). Subs not used: Alnwick, Nelson.

Burnley: Muric; Roberts, Harwood-Bellis, Taylor, Maatsen; Cork, Cullen, Brownhill (Bastien 88); Tella (Zaroury 64), Gudmundsson (Benson 64), Rodriguez (Barnes 64). Subs not used: Peacock-Farrell, Vitinho, Beyer.

Callum Robinson