Callum O'Dowda

Match Report | Cardiff City 1-1 Wigan Athletic

Match Reports

Cardiff City were held to a draw by Wigan Athletic at Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday afternoon.  

Despite Callum O’Dowda’s second-half strike for City, Will Keane equalised for the Latics in added-time.

Mark Hudson made five changes to the side that drew with Leeds United last time out, with Ryan Allsop, Perry Ng, Ryan Wintle, Joe Ralls and O’Dowda coming into the starting XI.

Wigan Athletic

City started brightly and forced the first chance of the game, as Sheyi Ojo won the ball back high up the pitch, leading to Wintle’s cross being dropped by Ben Amos into the path of Mark Harris, whose effort at goal was saved. The Bluebirds controlled possession in the early proceedings and looked the more likely of the two sides to open the scoring.

Despite the visitors growing into the contest, City created an opportunity through winger Jaden Philogene, who cut inside from the left and struck just wide from distance.

Just minutes later, the Bluebirds went agonisingly close to taking the lead, as a fine cross from Ojo was met by Isaak Davies, whose glancing header was just wide of the post.

Before the break, striker Davies was involved once more, racing in behind and going close with a lofted effort at goal, which Amos tipped over.

The Latics ended the opening 45 minutes on top, but City’s defence stood strong, as the first-half ended goalless.

Callum O'Dowda

Goalkeeper Allsop was called into action at the start of the second period, as Wigan Athletic captain Max Power forced the City shot-stopper into a save from distance.

Despite the Bluebirds responding with a period of pressure, the Latics had a great chance to open the scoring, as Power found substitute Miguel Azeez in-behind, who struck over the bar.

Midfielder Azeez was again involved in a chance for the visitors, cutting inside and firing at goal, with Allsop making the save and beating Callum Lang to the rebound.

City reacted by applying another spell of pressure, going close through a Wintle set-piece, as the midfielder’s free-kick just evaded substitute Cedric Kipré at the back post.

The visitors forced a great chance to break the deadlock, as Will Keane got in behind, but Allsop stepped up with a crucial save. Substitute Callum Robinson looked to make a swift impact, playing through Kion Etete, who was caught just offside.

City broke the deadlock in the 82nd minute, as Philogene’s cross from the right broke into the path of O’Dowda, who clinically found the bottom corner.

Deep into added-time, the visitors found an equaliser, as Keane turned home from close-range.

The Bluebirds return to action next weekend, welcoming Millwall to Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday (21/01), 3pm KO.


Cardiff City: Allsop, Ng, Nelson, Simpson (Kipré 46’), O’Dowda, Wintle, Ralls © (Rinomhota 46’), Ojo (Robinson 61’), Philogene, Harris (Etete 46’), Davies (Sawyers 81’). Subs not used: Alnwick, Sang.

Wigan Athletic: Amos, Nyambe, Tilt, Caulker, Hughes (Aasgaard 90’), Lang (Fletcher 71’), Naylor (Magennis 90’), Cousins (Azeez 45+2’), Power ©, McLean, Keane. Subs not used: Jones, Edwards, Darikwa.