Cardiff City celebrate taking the lead

Match Report | Cardiff City 2-1 Stoke City

Match Reports
Cardiff City put in a battling display to claim 2-1 victory over Stoke City at Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

First half goals from Kion Etete and Karlan Grant contributed to the Bluebirds claiming all three points.

Erol Bulut made three changes to the side that faced Blackburn Rovers earlier this week with Perry Ng, Joe Ralls and Josh Wilson-Esbrand.

Karlan Grant celebrates scoring for Cardiff City

Keen to make a fast start, the Bluebirds pushed forward from the first whistle. Leading the charge was Rubin Colwill, who had the game’s first chance four minutes in when his long-range strike was deflected over the crossbar. From the resulting corner, Ralls’ delivery was met by Etete, whose header found the net to give City the lead.

The Potters came close in the 16th minute after Niall Ennis found space in box, but he dragged his shot just wide of the left post. With just over 30 minutes on the clock, Grant doubled the lead. After finding himself one on one against Ben Wilmot, Grant shifted the ball onto his left foot and clinically found the bottom right corner.

Five minutes before half-time, Stoke City pulled one back after Lewis Baker’s close range free-kick was brilliantly stopped by Ethan Horvath; however, Jun-ho Bae was there to convert the rebound.

Karlan Grant celebrates scoring for Cardiff City

The Potters made an energetic start to the second half, and had the first two chances in search of an equaliser. Firstly, Horvath was on hand to deny Ennis scoring from close range and secondly, Baker couldn’t direct his header towards goal after a cross from Jordan Thompson.

In response to Stoke’s pressure, the Bluebirds came back with a chance of their own. Wilson-Esbrand delivered a dangerous ball in from the left, almost finding a City shirt in the box. Bowler then picked the ball up and drove at the defender and tested Daniel Iversen with a low shot to his near post.

Famara Diedhiou almost added another with a minute to go after another pinpoint Ralls corner found him free in the box, but he couldn’t keep his header down. City remained resilient and held onto their one-goal lead in added time to secure victory.

City return to action on Saturday, 2nd March, visiting Bristol City at Ashton Gate Stadium, 12:30pm KO.


Cardiff City: Horvath, Ng, Goutas, Phillips, Wilson-Esbrand (74’ Turnbull), Bowler (66’ Meite), Siopsis, R Colwill (66’ Collins), Ralls ©, Grant (54’ Wintle), Etete (74’ Diedhiou). Subs: Turner, Romeo, J Colwill, Ashford.

Stoke City: Iversen, Thompson, Rose, Wilmot, Manhoef (78’ Campbell), Baker, Burger (78’ Vidigal), Cundle (45’ Laurent), Bae (87’ Lowe), Ennis, Tchamadeu (45’ Gooch). Subs: Bonham, Pearson, Hoever, Leris.