Match Report | Cardiff City 3-2 Barnsley

Match Reports
Cardiff City extended their winning streak to three matches in a row following Saturday afternoon's match against the Tykes, thanks to a terrific late winner from Lee Tomlin.


Neil Harris made no changes to the side that started against Stoke City and Nottingham Forest, with the sole change to the 18-man squad being Jazz Richards replacing Cameron Coxe.

City applied pressure on the visitors right away, with a string of corner kicks probing the Tykes’ defence early on. The best of these saw Marlon Pack’s cross meeting the head of Aden Flint, whose effort glanced just wide of the far post.

On the other end, Barnsley’s Conor Chaplin saw his shot headed wide by Gary Madine, whilst Jordan Williams’ effort from 20 yards flew high over the bar.

Aden Flint’s tackle at the quarter hour mark led to a terrific counterattack for the hosts, passing the ball to Madine for the striker to charge up the pitch in possession, before playing the ball to Junior Hoilett. Free at the edge of the visitors’ area, the winger struck on his left foot towards goal, sending it only inches over the crossbar.

Conor Chaplin put the visitors ahead in the 16th minute of play with a strike from inside City’s area after being played through on goal by an incisive pass.


The Tykes’ lead was short-lived, however. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing delivered a pass to Junior Hoilett on the left wing, who cut inside and crossed. The in-swinging ball was met by Flint, who got down low at the edge of the six-yard box to send it home and equalise for the Bluebirds.

City’s search for a second goal began almost immediately, with Gary Madine’s strike from Aden Flint’s flicked header being deemed offside by the linesman minutes after the equaliser.

Mendez-Laing’s effort from a well-placed cross flew wide of the far post as City pressed on yet again to close out the first half.

Barnsley took the lead once again shortly after the interval, as Conor Chaplin’s low cross bounced off Bambo Diaby at close range. 

Cauley Woodrow headed wide from Chaplin’s cross minutes later, with the visitors applying more pressure on City in the period following the hour mark being reached.


Danny Ward scored his first goal at home of the season in the 68th minute, equalising in great style for the Bluebirds. 

The substitute, who had recently been brought onto the pitch, was fed a terrific through ball by Lee Tomlin, and deftly shot home past ‘keeper Samuel Sahin-Radlinger with his first touch.

With full time approaching, City had three chances to go ahead in quick succession. Will Vaulks saw his shot blocked, with Marlon Pack missing on the half-volley moments later.

Lee Tomlin’s own effort from the edge of the area looked goal-bound moments later, but the shot went wide of the left upright.

With five minutes added on, City dug in deep to find a winner, eventually coming through Lee Tomlin. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing's cross met Aden Flint in Barnsley's area, whose header fell towards the feet of the awaiting forward.

Wasting no time to get his shot away, Tomlin struck home on the volley, with the ball cannoning off the floor and up into the inside of the net.

With the final whistle blown, the Bluebirds had come back from behind twice to eventually defeat their opponents, continuing Neil Harris' unbeaten start as Cardiff City manager.



Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Bennett, Flint, Bacuna (Vaulks 74’), Pack, Nelson, Tomlin, Mendez-Laing, Madine (Ward 65’), Hoilett (Murphy 59). Subs not used: Smithies, Morrison, Paterson, Richards.

Barnsley: Sahin-Radlinger, J. Williams, B. Williams, Diaby, Andersen, Brown (Schmidt 82’), Woodrow, Bähre, Chaplin, Halme, Mowatt. Subs not used: Collins, Dougall, Thomas, Schmidt, Sibbick, Oduor, Mottley-Henry.