Aaron Ramsey

Match Report | Ipswich Town 3-2 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Cardiff City were defeated by Ipswich Town at Portman Road on Saturday afternoon.

Among the changes since the last time out, Erol Bulut gave Ollie Tanner and Alex Rúnarsson their first league starts for City, following performances earlier in the week against Birmingham City.

Ollie Tanner

City tested their hosts early on through Karlan Grant. The forward found himself in space out wide, and cutting inside towards the area, fired a curling shot that went astray of the far post.

Grant struck again five minutes later, this time getting the ball in the back of the net from Dimitrios Goutas’ rebounded header, but the goal was ruled as being offside, by the narrowest of margins.

Having made his first league start for City, Alex Rúnarsson was forced into making a fingertip save to deny Conor Chaplin, before the Bluebirds were once again playing on the front foot, with Grant striking narrowly wide once more.

The breakthrough came for City on the half-hour mark, as Aaron Ramsey finished coolly from Grant’s terrific low cross from out wide.

Deservedly ahead, City held tight for the remainder of the half, though Rúnarsson was forced into making a great save in a one-on-one against George Hirst. The City ‘keeper was called into action once more before the half was out, getting an outstretched foot to deny the hosts following a set-piece.

In injury time, City very nearly doubled the lead, as Ollie Tanner crossed a delightful ball in towards the six yard box. Yakou Méïté did well to rush into the right position, but couldn’t turn his headed effort goalwards.

Yakou Meite

Following the interval, City resumed and immediately looked to score a second. Having been subbed on at half-time, Ike Ugbo was presented with a chance early on in the second half, as Grant’s cross went slightly too high for the striker to head home.

Joe Ralls doubled the lead a few minutes later, following a period of increasing pressure from the visitors. The skipper found himself inside the area and struck with his right foot, finding the far corner of the net.

The hosts drew level with two goals in seven minutes as the match entered the final 30 minutes. Nathan Broadhead found a goal on the hour mark, as his shot from the edge of the area evaded the grasp of Rúnarsson, before Freddie Ladapo took advantage of a loose ball from a corner-kick to finish the hosts’ second. Ipswich Town took the lead in the 78th minute, as Ladapo headed home on the rebound.

Despite their efforts to find a third goal and earn a draw against the hosts, Ipswich Town held firm, taking all three points from the encounter.


Cardiff City: Runarsson, Goutas, McGuinness, Ralls (Panzo 62'), Ramsey, Grant, Collins (R. Colwill 83'), Meite (Wintle 63'), Siopis, Tanner (Ugbo 46'), Ng. Subs not used: Alnwick, Romeo, Etete, Adams, Sawyers.


Ipswich Town: Hladky, Clarke (Williams 76'), Woolfenden, Burgess, Davis, Morsy (Evans 90'), Luongo (Taylor 76'), Burns (Hutchinson 76'), Chaplin, Broadhead, Hirst (Ladapo 36'). Subs not used: Slicker, Ball, Evans, Jackson, Scarlett.