Yakou Meite

Match Report | Swansea City 2-0 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Cardiff City were defeated by the Swans on Saturday afternoon.

Erol Bulut made no changes to last week's winning side, with Aaron Ramsey stepping into the matchday squad on the bench, marking his return from injury.

Starting at pace hosts applied the pressure throughout the opening minutes, forcing a series of good blocks from Nat Phillips, who was found handily on the end of a number of crosses and corner-kicks in the first five minutes.

Liam Cullen shot off target twice in as many minutes as the match progressed the quarter hour mark, with the hosts continuing to create chances from set-pieces. Harry Darling’s headed effort proved the biggest chance on goal of the opening 25 minutes, when he struck the crossbar.

Josh Bowler

The Swans took the lead just past the half hour mark, as Cullen finished on the volley from a cross into the City area.

With changes made to the Cardiff City line-up at the break, Callum O’Dowda and Rubin Colwill were introduced.

The Swans were given a penalty kick five minutes into the half, as Perry Ng was deemed to have committed a foul inside the area. However, Cullen failed to double the lead despite the opportunity, as he sent his shot wide of the mark from 12 yards.

Ethan Horvath made a good stop from a headed effort minutes later, as City continued to fight for a foothold and look to create chances for themselves.

Phillips’ header forced a save from Carl Rushworth, before Rubin struck just high from a cutback pass from Josh Bowler inside the area.

Karlan Grant

With the hosts testing again while taking the majority of possession, the Bluebirds found chances at a premium as the half progressed. Withstanding further defensive tests from the Swans, Horvath paired up nicely with Dimitrios Goutas on several occasions in the intervening minutes, as the two cut out and blocked several shots and half-chances.

With five minutes left on the clock, the returning Aaron Ramsey swung in a well-placed free-kick that flew into the box at pace, though Nat Phillips wasn’t quite able to turn his header goalwards.

In injury time, the Swans doubled their lead as Jamal Lowe spearheaded a counter initiated from City’s search for a late equaliser, finishing past Horvath for their second of the afternoon.


Cardiff City: Horvath, Ng, Goutas, Phillips, Wilson-Esbrand, Siopis, Wintle (C), Turnbull, Bowler, Grant, Méïté. Subs: Turner, Romeo, Collins, Ralls, Ramsey, R. Colwill, O'Dowda, Tanner, Diédhiou.

Swansea City: Rushworth, Darling, Allen, Grimes, Paterson, Tymon, Płacheta, Cullen, Wood, Naughton, Ronald. Subs: Fisher, Fulton, Cooper, Patino, Lowe, Key, Yates, Abdulai, Lissah.