Mark Harris

Pre-Season Match Report | Cardiff City 2-0 Newport County

Match Reports
Cardiff City continued a winning start to pre-season by defeating Newport County at Cardiff International Sports Campus.

In an entertaining contest, a quick-fire double from Gavin Whyte and James Crole was enough to secure victory for Steve Morison’s side.

Eli King

City started brightly and went close to taking an early lead, as Ryan Wintle’s pinpoint corner delivery was headed onto the post by Perry Ng. In another positive attack for the Bluebirds, summer recruit Vontae Daley-Campbell found space to fire at goal, with his powerful effort flying wide of the post.

Morison’s men continued to create opportunities, as Eli King and Ollie Tanner combined on the right, with the latter cutting inside and forcing a save from Exiles goalkeeper Nick Townsend. The visitors’ shot-stopper was again called into action, denying a fantastic effort from Tom Sang with an impressive save.

In County’s first chance of the game, a dangerous corner was headed goalwards by summer signing Declan Drysdale, only for City to clear. Down the other end, Bluebirds winger Tanner looked dangerous on the right and went close to opening up the visitors’ defence with a ball through for Max Watters, but his pass just evaded the City striker.

As the interval neared, Morison’s side created another opportunity to open the scoring, as Mark Harris beat the offside trap, but couldn’t quite direct his effort on target. In another City chance, Tanner’s flick over the Newport backline allowed Jamilu Collins to drive into the area, but the left-back couldn’t quite find a blue shirt in the box, as the two teams went into the break goalless.

Gavin Whyte

Much like the first-half, the Bluebirds started the second period on the front foot and looked to break the deadlock. Wales international Harris got in-behind the visitors’ defence once more, this time squaring to Sang, whose goal-bound effort was blocked. Harris was again involved in another City attack, striking powerfully over the woodwork from the edge of the area.

The Bluebirds looked to capitalise on a mix-up at the back for the Exiles, as winger Gavin Whyte was played in, but couldn’t quite beat his man to the ball. City boss Morison opted to make further changes on the hour mark, giving first-team opportunities to academy players Joel Colwill, Morgan Wigley, Jack Leahy Jai Semenyo and Crole.

James Rowberry’s County had a great chance to open the scoring in the second-half, as Offrande Zanzala beat the offside trap and opted to square across the box, evading fellow striker Chanka Zimba, who is on a season-long loan from City. The Bluebirds responded admirably and broke the deadlock in the 77th minute, with a swift counter-attack leading to Whyte sweeping home after some brilliant work from Crole.

Gavin Whyte & James Crole

Buoyed by opening the scoring, City had their tails up and doubled the lead just five minutes later, as Whyte turned provider this time, playing Crole through on goal, who finished clinically past former Bluebirds goalkeeper Joe Day. Having created a number of chances throughout the contest, the late double in the second period proved to be the difference for Morison’s side to claim victory.

The Bluebirds return to action on Saturday afternoon (16/07), with a trip to Cheltenham Town’s Whaddon Road, 3pm KO. Click here to buy your tickets.


Cardiff City: Allsop (Alnwick 60’), Daley-Campbell (Romeo 45’), Collins (Bagan 45’), Denham (McGuinness 45’), Ng (Nelson 45’), King (J Colwill 60’), Watters (Crole 60’), Harris (Wigley 60’), Wintle (Leahy 60’), Sang (Semenyo 60’), Tanner (Whyte 45’). Subs not used: Benjamin, Ashford, Ligendza.

Newport County: First Half: Townsend, Drysdale, Clarke, Woodiwiss, Norman, Bennett, Lewis, Willmott (C), Karadogan, Collins, Bogle. Second Half: Day, Bright, Dolan (C), Demetriou, Lewis, Bowen, Wildig, Waite, Evans (Twamley 87’), Zimba, Zanzala.