City vs. Cambridge United...

Pre-Season Match Report | City & Cambridge do battle twice at Leckwith

Match Reports
Cardiff City and Cambridge United competed over 2 x 60 minute matches at Leckwith on Saturday, July 17th, 2021 - with the away side victorious in the first game, with the second ending in a draw.
Tom Davies in action against Cambridge...

Ciaron Brown made a first pre-season appearance while U18 left-back Tom Davies also started the first fixture, before Ryan Giles dawned the Bluebirds shirt with Gavin Whyte & Joe Ralls getting their pre-season underway in the second match.

The first game’s opening opportunity went the way of the visitors who converted after four minutes. In a one-on-one situation, forward Sam Smith lifted the ball past Alex Smithies.

City pushed for a leveller and nearly got it, eight minutes later. Youngster Davies put a low cross into the path of Isaac Vassell, who did well to connect but put the ball over.

The Bluebirds came close again with 25 minutes played. Lee Tomlin sped into the area off the left flank and unleashed a curling effort which went agonisingly above the crossbar.

After the interval, the U’s were denied a second goal by a wonderful save from stopper Smithies, two minutes in. James Brophy tried his luck from range with a powerful free-kick that was punched over.

Cardiff City continued to press for an equaliser, but the visiting defence were resilient. Cambridge United went on to net a second through midfielder Jensen Weir after 57 minutes, which secured their win in the first game.


Cardiff City: Smithies, Bakare, Flint, Brown, Bowen, Davies, Pack, Vaulks, Tomlin, Vassell (Zimba 44’), Harris.

Cambridge United: Gill, Bennett, Jones, Taylor, Dunk, Dallas, O’Neil, Weir, Brophy, Hoolahan, Smith.

Gavin Whyte in action against Cambridge...

The second fixture saw a penalty for the U’s inside the opening two minutes. Joe Ironside stepped up and found the net to send his side ahead.

City responded with an equaliser ten minutes later. Winger Giles found Chanka Zimba with a cross and the striker hammered his header home.

Cardiff City came close to taking the lead with 20 minutes played. Giles cut inside off the right wing before finessing an attempt which clipped the left post.

James Collins neared his third goal of pre-season just two minutes later. The forward rose to head on target, but Louis Chadwick managed to keep the ball out.

Into the second period and the Bluebirds came out determined to take the lead. 21-year-old Giles produced a driving run before seeing his terrific shot stopped by the fingertips of goalkeeper Chadwick after 39 minutes.

City came close to another goal, 15 minutes later. Keenan Patten’s cross was cleared as far as Ryan Wintle, whose strike went agonisingly above the crossbar.

In the final moments of the encounter, substitute Patten powered the ball towards goal but a strong block denied Cardiff City a winner, with full-time following shortly after.


Ryan Giles warms up for the Bluebirds...

Cardiff City: Phillips, Denham, Connolly, McGuinness, Whyte (Patten 48’), Bagan, Ralls, Wintle, Zimba (Pritchard 56’), Collins, Giles.

Subs not used: Luthra, Jones, D'Almeida, Semenyo.

Cambridge United: Chadwick, Williams, Trialist, Jobe, Iredale, Tracey, Digby, May, Worman (Cowling 44’), Knibbs, Ironside.

Our 2021/22 home kit is now available...