Match Report | Stoke City 3-3 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Three goals in five second-half minutes saw the Bluebirds rescue a point in an incredible turnaround at Stoke City.

City had found themselves three goals down after Jacob Brown's opener and Steven Fletcher's brace.

But goals from Welsh internationals Rubin Colwill, Mark Harris and Kieffer Moore secured a point in Steve Morison's first game in the dugout.


City almost made a perfect start to the game at the Bet365 Stadium, as Colwill raced through on the left flank. The 19-year-old squared the ball across the six-yard box, but it was just behind Kieron Evans, who was making his first start for the Club.

The Bluebirds were left rueing that chance as Stoke took the lead on the ten-minute mark. A hopeful cross into the box was met by Brown at the near post, who headed past Alex Smithies.

The hosts doubled their advantage soon after. Fletcher took aim from distance and saw his effort deflect off Mark McGuinness, wrong-footing Smithies to find the back of the net.

City nearly got back in the game on the stroke of half-time as Colwill played Moore through on goal. However, Josef Bursik was quick off his line to save when one-on-one.

After the interval, the game looked to be over as a contest when Fletcher's scooped effort found the bottom corner within a minute of the restart.


But everything changed inside five second-half minutes as the Bluebirds launched a sensational comeback in Staffordshire.

First, Colwill let fly from range – his effort dipping just in front of Bursik who could only divert it into the roof of the net.

Now 20 minutes from time, Moore combined with the newly introduced Harris, who made no mistake with his finish, dispatching the ball in the bottom corner.

And within 60 seconds City had completed the comeback, as Ryan Giles set up Moore to tap home at the back post.


Harris – and the City fans behind the goal – were ready to celebrate a winning goal late on, only for the offside flag to be raised with the ball in the net.

But the full-time whistle meant that they'd travel back to the Welsh capital with an unlikely point earned in the most dramatic of circumstances, ahead of successive home matches at CCS next week.

Final Score: Stoke City 3-3 Cardiff City

Stoke City: Bursik, Wilmot, Souttar, Chester, Smith, Sawyers, Allen (C), Thompson (Vrancic 80), Tymon, Brown (Surridge 74), Fletcher (Campbell 74).

Subs not used: Davies, Batth, Ince, Sima

Cardiff City: Smithies, Ng, Morrison (C) (Flint 85), Nelson, McGuinness, Giles, Vaulks, Bacuna, Evans (Harris 52), Colwill, Moore.

Subs not used: Phillips, Brown, Bagan, King, Davies.