Match Reports


Cardiff City grabbed a first point on the road in the Barclays Premier League as they battled out a hard earned 1-1 draw with Hull City at the KC Stadium.

In a battle between two of the newly promoted sides in an autumnal north east, it was the home side who took the lead late in the first-half as Curtis Davies headed home a dangerous Tom Huddlestone cross past City 'keeper Joe Lewis.

A half-time switch and a change of formation signalled the Bluebirds intentions as they went in search of the equaliser. It came on the hour mark in attractive fashion, Peter Whittingham providing the clinical finish past Hull 'keeper Allan McGregor following neat one touch build-up from substitute Nicky Maynard and Don Cowie, scoring the Bluebirds' first goal on the road in the process.

They almost fired in a quick fire second as Kevin Theophile-Catherine, enjoying his debut at right-back, picked out Aron Gunnarsson with a near post cross, only for the Iceman to fire wide despite losing his marker.

The home side pressed for the winner as the game came to a close, but Cardiff remained resilient in defence to secure a first point on the road and make it three games unbeaten for Malky Mackay's side.

The match teamsheet handed summer signing Theophile-Catherine a Cardiff City debut in one of three changes for the Bluebirds' from their 0-0 draw with Everton at Cardiff City Stadium; goalkeeper Joe Lewis and Don Cowie coming in to replace David Marshall and Craig Bellamy in the two other changes.

The opening ten minutes saw Cardiff command most of the play, enjoying much of the ball without quite creating the clinical chance required to break the deadlock. Whittingham's through ball to Fraizer Campbell eventually cut out by Tigers' stopper McGregor after a heavy Campbell touch.

City followed it up with some lovely play by debutant Theophile-Catherine on the right flank, picking out Kim Bo Kyung in the area who subsequently went down under the challenge of James Chester; Referee Robert Madley waved away Cardiff protests for a penalty.

As the game went on the home side started to grow into the game. Former Arsenal man Sone Aluko sent his shot into the side netting before Joe Lewis was forced into an excellent save to deny England International Huddlestone from 20 yards.

From the resultant corner, Hull were ahead. After a strong initial clearance from Lewis, Huddlestone turned provider to whip in a dangerous cross from the right, picking out defender Curtis Davies at the near post who promptly headed home from close range and put the Tigers ahead at the break.

HALF TIME - Hull City 1-0 Cardiff City

A change at half-time saw Nicky Maynard replace South Korean Kim Bo Kyung, with the Bluebirds switching to a more attacking 4-4-2 formation as they went in search of the equaliser.
They did so intently from the off; Whittingham's early corner falling to Gunnarsson on the edge of the area only to see his effort blocked by a crowded Tigers penalty area.

Cardiff were showing real urgency to get back onto level terms and on the hour mark they were deservedly back level. A sweet flowing move from midfield saw substitute Maynard and Don Cowie combine before the Scot picked out an inch perfect cross for the on-running Whittingham, who made no mistake as he slotted home past Hull stopper McGregor.

It almost got even better for City with the very next attack. Theophile-Catherine, who was enjoying and confident debut display at right-back for Cardiff, pushed forward once again before picking out a perfect cross for an unmarked Gunnarsson, only for the Iceland International Captain to head wide.

A further change for the Bluebirds saw Rudy Gestede replace former Hull man Campbell to provide more of an aerial threat.

But it was the home side who brought the pressure as the game entered its final stages. Indeed Aluko looked to have fired the home side in front with ten minutes to go as he turned home a cross from substitute Stephen Quinn, only to see the play brought back for offside by the official on the near side.

FULL-TIME: Hull City 1-1 Cardiff City

TEAMS - Cardiff City: Lewis; Taylor, Caulker (C), Turner, Whittingham, Medel, Campbell (Gestede 65), Kim (Maynard 45), Gunnarsson, Cowie (Mutch 90), Theophile-Catherine. Subs not used: Moore; Hudson, Odemwingie, Gestede, Noone, Mutch. 

Hull City: McGregor, Figueroa, Chester, Davies, Elmohamady, Huddlestone, Koren, Livermore, Brady (Quinn 67), Aluko, Graham. Subs not used: Jakupovic, McShane, Bruce, Rosenior, Meyler, Boyd.

GOALS: Hull: Davies (40), Cardiff City: Whittingham (60)

Attendance: 21,949 (The KC Stadium, Hull)