Club News

Solanke and Kiwomya goals secure 2-0 win for Chelsea

Cardiff City's under-18s excellent run in the FA Youth Cup came to an end as Chelsea grabbed a 2-0 win to progress to the quarter-finals of the competition.

The home side set out to quell the undoubted strength in the Chelsea starting eleven and showed incredible discipline and strength in defence throughout the tie.

They fell behind four minutes into the match with Dominic Solanke scoring his fifth goal of the FA Youth Cup this season, capitalising on an under hit back pass from Thomas James. The young City side didn’t let this early goal change their game plan and continued to stop the away side from getting into goal-scoring positions.

Chelsea forward Jeremie Boga was forced to shoot from distance on nine minutes, but his shot went well wide. City’s first real sight at the Chelsea goal came after twenty seven minutes when Dion Conroy felled Cardiff forward Abdi Noor on the edge of the Blues penalty area. Central defender James went close with the resulting set piece as the Bluebirds searched for a levelling goal.

Chelsea could have gone in at the break two goals ahead but City keeper Joe Massaro was alert enough to react when Alex Kiwomya attempted to lob the young stopper from outside the penalty box.

HALF TIME: Cardiff City U-18s 0-1 Chelsea U-18s

City made an attacking change early in the second period with Jake Watkins being brought on to replace Yora Enzam as Kevin Nicholson tried a different approach in breaking down the Chelsea defence. Watkins nearly broke through within a matter of moments of entering the pitch with a strong dart into the box only for the offside flag and Blues keeper Mitchell Beeney to deny him.

Cardiff stopper Massaro was on hand again to deny the away side a second goal when Charlie Colkett trying a shot from distance. Massaro was handed a yellow card after fifty eight minutes when referee Wayne Barratt deemed the Bluebirds keeper had felled Solanke on the edge of the penalty area. Boga’s resulting free kick drifted well wide of goal.

Solanke had a good opportunity to score a second after sixty five minutes but he nodded well over the bar from close range.

The away side got closer to increasing their lead after seventy two minutes. Kiwomya’s original shot bouncing back off the upright with Joe Massaro somehow stopping Adi Viveash’s side from scoring once more from the rebound.

Kiwomya finally managed to divert the ball home and double the lead on seventy eight minutes, Chelsea substitute Reece Mitchell keeping the ball in on the far side before crossing low for Kiwomya to divert the ball home.

The young City stars didn’t let this second goal get to them and showcased true discipline in the face of the threatening Chelsea attack. They nearly made it an interesting final few minutes when David Tutonda’s fantastic run was nearly diverted home from substitute Eli Phipps. Phipps’ lobbed effort was held by Beeney from within the penalty area as the away side held on to seal their place in the FA Youth Cup Quarter Final.

FULL TIME:Cardiff City U-18s 0-2 Chelsea U-18s

Cardiff City: Massaro, Rees (Wickham, 67), Tutonda, Patten, C Watkins, James, Roche, B Watkins, Noor (Phipps, 83), Southam, Enzam (J Watkins, 54). Subs Not Used: Burridge, Veale.

Chelsea: Beeney, Dabo, Christensen, Conroy, Aina, Houghton (Mitchell, 56), Kiwomya (Palmer, 90), Loftus-Cheek (Ssewankambo, 83), Solanke, Colkett, Boga. Subs Not Used: Collins, Abraham.

Attendance: 1,150