Match Report : 19/04/2016

Match Reports


Cardiff City slipped to a 2-1 defeat to Brentford at Griffin Park. All the goals came in a frenetic final ten minutes with Scott Hogan scoring twice in quick succession for the Bees before Kenneth Zohore prodded home a consolation goal for Russell Slade’s men.


Both teams had chances to nudge ahead early on, Brentford’s Nico Yennaris got into a dangerous position before seeing his shot blocked, then City’s Craig Noone saw his low shot well saved by David Button in the Brentford goal. 

The Bluebirds quickly grabbed the initiative in the contest, ensuring the ball remained in the Bees' half for large periods. Anthony Pilkington was looking a real handful and the Irishman had several chances to put his side into the lead.  

The tempo of the game slowed as the first half drew to a close but Cardiff still had their chances. Joe Ralls and Noone saw their shots blocked from the edge of the box and Yennaris had another chance for Brentford but dragged his effort wide of David Marshall’s right hand post. City had certainly shaded the the first period as the teams left the field at the interval. 


The Bees were fast out of the traps at the start of the second half and saw Alan McCormack’s early strike well saved by Marshall, who had seen the midfielder’s shot late. Minutes later Konstantin Kerschbaumer fired over from just outside the City box. 

Brentford then had the best chance of the game so far when Lasse Vibe was put clean through by Ryan Woods, however the striker’s effort was a tame one which allowed David Marshall to pull off a vital save. The home team were having the better of things and on seventy minutes Scott Malone had to clear a very dangerous ball fired across the area by Jake Bidwell. 

City were looking to reassert their dominance, first Stuart O’Keefe found himself in a great position inside the penalty area but couldn’t get his shot away, shortly after Pilkington could only fire straight at Button. 


The game was delicately poised heading into the latter stages of the contest. Scott Hogan managed to get away from Matt Connolly but could only push his effort wide of the City goal.  City were pressing their opponents well but with seven minutes of normal time remaining heartbreak struck. Lasse Vibe rattled the bar following a corner and Hogan was on hand to smash home from close range to give his side the lead. 

The Bluebirds were unable to regroup quickly enough and conceded again three minutes later. The instrumental Lasse Vibe found Scott Hogan who grabbed his second of the night, finding the bottom corner from the right hand side of the penalty area. 

That strike appeared to have decided the game but substitute Kenneth Zohore had other ideas. The big Dane picked up the ball in the middle of the box and managed to steer the ball home. This was his first goal for the club and gave his side much needed hope. City bombarded the Bees' goal in injury time, Zohore came close again when he saw his effort sail agonizingly over the bar. With the seconds ticking down another substitute, Tom Lawrence had a great chance but could only fire straight at Button in the Bees goal. 

It was a valiant fight back from the Bluebirds and they were unlucky not to score a second in the dying minutes Brentford were able to hang on for the victory.  


Scorers: Hogan (83’, 86’), Zohore (’89)
 Button, Clarke, Dean, Barbet, Bidwell, McCormack, Yennaris, Woods, Kerschbaumer (Hogan 75’), Saunders (Canos 67’), Vibe. 
Subs not used: Bonham, O’Connell, Gogia, Cole, Djuricin. 

Cardiff City:
 Marshall, Peltier, Malone, Morrison, Connolly, Ralls, O’Keefe (Ameobi 88’), Whittingham, Noone (Lawrence 74’), Immers, (Zohore 84’) Pilkington. 
Subs not used: Moore, Turner, Dikgacoi, Saadi.