Cardiff City were knocked out of the third round of the FA Youth Cup following a 5-0 defeat to holders Chelsea on Tuesday night at Aldershot Town’s EBB stadium.

In the first few minutes, Chelsea dominated possession with some neat and tidy build-up play and had the first chance of the game when captain Mason Mount’s shot was awkwardly deflected, but it was a comfortable stop for Scott Coughlan.

Chelsea piled the pressure on for the Bluebirds back-line, but the Cardiff defence remained organised and put their bodies on the line to protect Coughlan.

Mount continued to be a nuisance for the Bluebirds and was heavily involved in a great chance for the West London outfit. The ball came in from the right hand side and Ike Ugbo’s acrobatic effort sailed just over the ball.

Chelsea's persistence paid off in the 18th minute as the influential Mount put his side in the lead after smashing home from just outside the 18 yard box.

Cardiff battled to keep Chelsea at bay, and their first chance of the half was a free-kick from Jarrad Welch that sailed over the ball.

With half an hour into the tie, Cardiff recorded their best chance of the half when they broke down the right-hand side and a teasing cross from James Waite almost fell into the path of Mark Harris.

Although, Chelsea hit back at Cardiff’s sudden spell of chances, with an excellent flick from Ike Ugbo playing in Harvey St Clair, but his shot was comfortably saved by Coughlan.

After the break, Cardiff looked fired up and put Chelsea under early pressure to try and force their way back into the cup tie.

However, three quick-fire goals sealed the cup tie for Chelsea. Substitute Tariq Uwakwe made an immediate impact and fired home a drilled cross from inside the six yard box.

Chelsea made it three from the spot, Ike Ugbo stepping up and slotting home. The Blues added a fourth when Jacob Maddox swivelled past Cardiff’s defence and fired a fierce low shot into the bottom corner.

The West London side finished off the scoring inside the final ten minutes when St Clair played in Ike Ugbo, who scored his second of the night. The holders progressing into the next round.