Cardiff City’s U18 side earned the Severnside bragging rights, defeating Bristol City, 3-2, at Leckwith International Stadium on Saturday, 13th December 2016.

The visitors came out firing at the first whistle as a lofted ball into the Cardiff penalty area eventually fell to Marcus Day, who headed in from close range to give the Robins the advantage inside two minutes.

Cardiff didn’t let this early set back deter them though and leveled within five minutes. Ibraim So Sani fired a teasing pass across the opposition’s six-yard box, which gave Isaac Davies an easy tap in at the far post.

The endless action didn’t stop there though as Bristol immediately sought to recover their one goal advantage through Cam Allen. He found himself unmarked to slot the ball into the goal and make it 2-1 with just six minutes played.

The majority of the first half saw Cardiff piling on the pressure in their hope to equalise. Bristol goalkeeper James Carey punched a cross away as far as James Waite who attempted a sensational lobbed shot on the volley but the goalkeeper just saved it.

Minutes later Bluebirds captain Cameron Coxe played a great through ball to Mark Harris who let it run past him before striking a powerful shot just over the bar. Cardiff were looking extremely dangerous at this point.

Midfielder Jarrad Welch found himself in space soon after and attempted a long range effort. The impressive strike had the ‘keeper well beaten but it dipped just past the post.

Cardiff continued to put pressure on Bristol City and a deep cross from Welch found Lewis Baldwin at the far post. The centre-back’s header was on target but blocked on the line to deny Cardiff the equaliser.

Half an hour into the game and there was another great chance for Cardiff to level. Harris held the ball up well for Waite, who delicately chipped it over the defence to put Ibraim So Sani through on goal but the attacker fired the ball narrowly over.

Moments later Welch played in Harris, who skilfully cut inside but before he could get a shot off he was swarmed by the Bristol defence.

Intense pressure finally paid off for Cardiff City just before half-time as Mark Harris latched on to another ball from Jarrad Welch and poked it past the Bristol goalkeeper to level things up before the break.

The home side remained on top after the interval and Baldwin almost took the lead for Cardiff as his header crashed against the post from close range.

The Bluebirds took the lead through a piece of solo brilliance from James Waite on 52 minutes. The midfielder received the ball on the edge of the box and fired the ball into the top corner with his left foot to put the Bluebirds ahead.

After Waite’s goal had put Cardiff ahead the home side managed to keep Bristol City at bay and dominate possession throughout the closing stages. Cardiff can now look ahead to their FA Youth Cup tie on Tuesday, 13th December against holders Chelsea.

FINAL SCORE: CARDIFF CITY 3–2 BRISTOL CITY (I. Davies 6’, Harris 42’, Waite 52’; Day 2’, Allen 6’)

Cardiff City: Coughlan, Coxe (c), Kelly, Young, Baldwin, Bodenham, I. Davies, Welch, Harris, Waite, So Sani (C. Davies 81’). Unused Subs: Madden, Burwood, Wootton, Williams.

Bristol City: Carey, Richards, Spark, Morton, Barry (c), Parsons, Williams, Smith (Taylor 46’), Day, Allen, Harper (Ali 46’). Unused Subs: Robertson, Rees.