Four goals for Mark Harris as City's U19 side progress in the FAW Youth Cup...

Cardiff City’s U19s fired nine goals past Tredegar Town to reach the third round of the FAW Youth Cup on Sunday, 30th October 2016.

The first twenty minutes of the game were that of a classic cup tie. Both sides were cautious of losing the game and involved in a tactical opening with few chances.

That all changed on 26 minutes as Jarrad Welch played in Mark Harris with a defence-splitting pass. Harris duly converted the chance by slotting it into the bottom corner to give Cardiff City the lead.

Nine minutes later, Welch was the provider once again as he fed Harris with another delightful through ball. The striker showed great composure to take the ball around the goalkeeper before scoring his second of the game.

James Waite went on a dazzling dribbling run and it looked like he might have gone all the way had he not been fouled just outside the area. Welch took the resulting free kick quickly to slide in Ibraim So Sani, who smashed the ball on the half turn with his left foot to put Cardiff three goals ahead.

The first half came to a close in dramatic fashion as Sion Spence was put clean through by Harris but was fouled in the area to hand Cardiff a penalty. Up stepped Harris to complete his hat trick with a powerful spot kick into the top left corner.

The young Bluebirds remained on top after the break as Waite’s shot struck the post. The ball eventually came to the edge of the box where it fell to Harris to score his fourth of the game, and Cardiff’s fifth.

Substitute Ben Margetson was involved straight off of the bench as his left-footed cross found So Sani at the far post who tapped it in to make it for the Bluebirds' sixth.

Just minutes later, Spence got his name on the score-sheet, continuing his strong performance. The Wales youth international took his goal well as he fired it past the Tredegar goalkeeper.

Cardiff’s eighth goal was scored by midfielder Waite as the ball fell to him just inside the 18 yard box to allow him to rifle the ball into the net.

Just a few minutes away from the final whistle, Cardiff’s rout was completed by substitute Alfie Madden. The ball dropping to Madden ten yards out, and he calmly placed the ball past the keeper into the top right corner of the net.

Tredegar continued in their efforts to deny Cardiff of a clean sheet and their hard work and persistence was rewarded with seconds to go as Callum Evans coolly placed the ball past Scott Coughlan in the Cardiff goal to pull a goal back for the visitors.

This dominant performance by the young Bluebirds means that Jarred Harvey and Matthew Bloxham’s side will be proceed into the third round of the FAW Youth Cup.


Cardiff City: Coughlan, Kelly, Coxe (c) (Madden 65’), Welch, Bodenham, Young (Margetson 53’), Williams, Spence, Harris (Wootton 70’), Waite, So Sani. Unused subs: Burwood.
Tredegar Town: Aenew, Tuffin, E. Jones, Davies (J. Jones 50’), Forsyth, Pearce-Titley, Thomas (Yorke 65’), S. Jones, Cullinane (Doolan 65’), Evans, Meredith. Unused subs: Bayliss, L. Jones.