Molly Kehoe celebrates scoring for Cardiff City Women

Adran Trophy Report | Cardiff City 21-0 Pontardawe Town

Cardiff City Women booked their place in the quarter finals of the Adran Trophy with victory over Pontardawe Town at Cardiff International Sports Campus.

Centre-back Megan Bowen captained the Bluebirds, while Grace Phillips made her first senior start.

City progressed in the competition that has seen the side reach the final in both of the last two campaigns.

The Bluebirds went ahead in the 15th minute through Danielle Broadhurst, who finished clinically after being found in the box by Rhianne Oakley. Fellow midfielder Tija Richardson doubled the lead two minutes later with a fine finish, before Oakley turned from provider to scorer to add a third.

Phillips, operating as a left wing-back, cut inside and found the net to mark her first senior appearance with a goal. Striker Mackenzie Olden then got on the scoresheet with a quickfire double, netting in the 29th and 34th minute.

Before the break, there were a further two goals for Olden and three for Oakley, as City went into the interval with an 11-0 lead. The Bluebirds’ front two netted four goals apiece in the first half, before being replaced by Eliza Collie and Demi Parry, the latter for her first senior appearance.

Cardiff City Women celebrate scoring against Swansea University

City continued their clinical performance in the second half, as Ffion Price powerfully fired home with 49 minutes on the clock, before Collie got on the scoresheet with a neat finish six minutes later. Substitute Parry also marked her first senior appearance with a goal, as she raced through and found the bottom corner.

In the 65th minute, the ball dropped to Collie in the area, who made no mistake to net her second of the afternoon. Right-back Lisa Owen capped a fine performance with a goal, as she found space in the area to powerfully fire home.

Substitute Olivia Basham impressed after coming on at half time, scoring a quickfire double in the 72nd and 73rd minute, the former marking her first senior goal for the Bluebirds. With ten minutes left, centre-back Hollie Smith won a penalty, which was eventually saved, only for Smith to react well to strike home.

Striker Collie showed her quality in the final ten minutes, as she won the ball back high up the pitch and finished to net her hat-trick, before showing alertness in the box to finish on four goals for the afternoon.

City are in Bute Energy Welsh Cup action next Sunday, facing Pontypridd United at the USW Sports Park.


Cardiff City: Gingell, Owen (Power 68’), Price, Bowen © (Beynon 68’), Smith, Phillips, Adams, Broadhurst, Richardson (Basham 46’), Oakley (Collie 46’), Olden (Parry 46’).

Pontardawe Town: Barnett (Llewellyn 45’), Garnett, Cardy, Demery (Thomas 62’), Phillips, Crosby, Stokes, Harris ©, B Kennedy (James 62’), Rees, Roles (F Kennedy 17’).

Iain Darbyshire

Head coach Iain Darbyshire heaped praise on his squad after the final whistle.

“I thought we were brilliant today,” Iain began. “We spoke to the players about being clinical and continuing to score goals, which they did really well. Credit to Pontardawe, they continued to battle right until the end and their players deserve a lot of credit for that.

“The U19s players that came in today were fantastic. Grace played really well on the left for us and I’m delighted for her to get her first senior start. Then, for Demi to come on for her first appearance with the senior team and to score was great for her. Bash did really well when she came on and deserved her two goals, so we’re really happy for them. Marnie deserves credit as well because she was very focused and when called upon, she did exactly what was needed.

“We’re really happy to get into the next round and we’ll be working hard to do the same in the Bute Energy Welsh Cup next week.”