History Charlton

Famous Fixtures: Cardiff City vs. Charlton Athletic

Ahead of the City's visit to the Valley on Saturday afternoon, we take a look back at some famous fixtures that the Bluebirds and the Addicks have shared across the years...

History Charlton

Cardiff City 2-0 Charlton Athletic, 18th October 2008

The Addicks’ final trip to Ninian Park in October 2008 resulted in Cardiff City’s first victory against the club since 1985.

Ahead of the fixture, the Bluebirds had lost only one of their opening ten league matches of the 2008/09 season, and got off to a great start against the visitors with the opening goal scored with less than 20 minutes played.

Peter Whittingham’s strike from well over 30 yards out shot towards goal and was parried away by ‘keeper Nicky Weaver. On the rebound, it was Ross McCormack who got to the ball first inside Charlton’s area.

The striker took his time to line up his shot and put the ball away coolly at the far post, sending Weaver the wrong way.

The Scottish international’s eighth goal of the campaign sent the home crowds wild, and added a ninth to his tally shortly after the interval.

City had earned a free-kick less than a foot outside the visitors’ area, with substitute José Semedo being sent off for a foul on McCormack four minutes after coming on to the pitch.

Beating the four-man wall that had assembled in front of the near post, the striker drove the ball past Weaver once again, doubling City’s lead.

McCormack’s stellar goalscoring record would continue throughout the 2008/09 season, eventually netting a total of 23 times in all competitions for the Bluebirds during their campaign.

History Charlton

Charlton Athletic 2-2 Cardiff City, 21st April, 2009

City’s visit to the Valley on the return fixture towards the end of the 2008/09 season resulted in a hard-fought draw for both sides, as the Bluebirds came from behind to secure a point late on against the Addicks.

Jonjo Shelvey opened the scoring for the hosts with ten minutes of the first half remaining, tapping in at the far corner from a well weighted cross.

City pushed for an equaliser throughout the first half, with Gabor Gyepes getting close as his header from Chris Burke’s cross sent the ball edging over the crossbar.

Jay Bothroyd came closer still as he shot home at the end of a counterattack, but his celebrations in front of the away end were cut short as it was deemed that he had committed a foul in the buildup play.

With ten minutes remaining the hosts doubled their lead, this time through Nicky Bailey, who fired low and past Tom Heaton from inside the area.

Though the match looked lost for City with time running out, Chris Burke sparked a comeback with a well-taken shot from range only three minutes later, using his pace to make the most of a quick counterattack against the hosts.

Rejuvenated, City pushed yet gain to find an unlikely equaliser, and found one through Gyepes with a minute of normal time to spare.

The Hungarian centre-back was in the right place at the right time inside Charlton’s area as Roger Johnson flicked on Burke’s corner kick towards him. Winning the ball, Gyepes turned on the spot to face the goal and swung his right foot quickly.

The shot deflected off a red shirt and into the back of the net, sending the away crowds into the raptures as the Bluebirds secured another point on the road.

History Charlton

Cardiff City 0-0 Charlton Athletic, 16th April 2013

Cardiff City secured the return to the top flight with a draw against the Addicks in April 2013, following a 51-year absence from the top division. Securing the draw under the floodlights at CCS, the Club secured their place in the Premier League for the following season.

Having been at the top of the Championship since November, the Bluebirds needed one point from their remaining matches to secure the promotion. 

Following an impressive defensive display from the hosts against an aggressive Charlton side, City held out to earn the much needed point against the Addicks.

With the blowing of the final whistle, CCS erupted with the cheers of the City faithful, many of whom rushed onto the pitch to join in the celebrations with the players, a memorable moment at the end of a historic night in the Club's rich history.

History Charlton

Cardiff City 2-1 Charlton Athletic, 26th September 2015

Sean Morrison’s 76th minute header proved the winner against the Addicks in September 2015, as the Bluebirds came from behind to take all three points at CCS.

Having lost their previous two matches, City looked to return to form as they hosted the south-east London side. Following a goalless first half, it was substitute Karlan Grant who put the visitors ahead in the opening minutes following the interval, as the striker placed his shot in at the far post having received the ball from Tony Watt.

Charlton Athletic’s lead was short lived, however, as Joe Mason found the equaliser for City only four minutes later, striking home from the edge of the six-yard box.

Peter Whittingham’s cross set up Sean Morrison for the hosts to take the lead, as the centre-back rose high to head powerfully into the back of the net, beating Nick Pope between the sticks, with the victory pushing City into fifth on the Championship league table.