Andy Rinomhota

Match Report | Cardiff City 0-1 Coventry City

Match Reports
Cardiff City were narrowly defeated by Coventry City at Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday afternoon.  

Despite the Bluebirds creating chances, Victor Gyökeres’ first-half goal was enough for the Sky Blues to take all three points.

Interim Manager Mark Hudson made one change to the side that recorded a 3-1 win at Wigan Athletic last time out, with Vontae Campbell coming into the starting XI for his first Sky Bet Championship start.

Niels Nkounkou

The visitors had a great chance to open the scoring early on, as Gyökeres beat City goalkeeper Ryan Allsop in a race to the ball, only to fire an effort wide of the mark. Hudson’s side responded well, with Ryan Wintle’s shrewd corner finding Callum Robinson, who had two goal-bound efforts blocked.

In another positive City attack, a brilliant low cross from Niles Nkounkou almost found Callum O’Dowda, who couldn’t quite make contact from close-range. As the Bluebirds continued to push for the opener, captain Joe Ralls put in a great delivery into the box, which almost found the on-rushing Robinson. The Republic of Ireland international was again involved afterwards, driving forward and firing an effort just wide of the post.

City continued to create chances, as Ralls’ dangerous corner delivery dropped to Andy Rinomhota, whose snapshot sailed over the woodwork. Despite the Bluebirds’ positivity in attack, the visitors opened the scoring in the 34th minute, as Jamie Allen’s initial effort was denied by Allsop, only for Gyökeres to fire in the rebound to give the Sky Blues a 1-0 lead at the break.

Hudson’s side began the second period on the front foot, as Campbell drove forward and delivered towards Mark Harris, whose effort deflected just wide. The Bluebirds looked to have equalised through Robinson, rounding goalkeeper Ben Wilson and finishing clinically, only for his effort to be ruled out by the referee.

Coventry City

As City pushed to level proceedings, left-back Nkounkou tried his luck from distance with a powerful strike, which flew just wide. In the final ten minutes, the Bluebirds put the visitors under pressure, going close to an equaliser through Robinson, who fired just over the woodwork, as the ball fell to the attacker from a corner.

With Hudson’s men committing bodies forward, the Sky Blues had a chance to double their lead late-on, as substitute Martyn Waghorn crossed for Jake Bidwell, whose header was excellently kept out by Allsop. Despite City pushing for a leveller, the Sky Blues held out to take all three points.

The Bluebirds return to league action in midweek with a trip to Queens Park Rangers on Wednesday evening (19/10), 7.45pm KO.


Cardiff City: Allsop, Campbell (Simpson 64’), Ng, Kipré, Nkounkou (Ojo 71’), Wintle, Ralls ©, Rinomhota (Sawyers 64’), O’Dowda (Philogene 81’), Harris (Etete 81’), Robinson. Subs not used: Alnwick, Nelson.

Coventry City: Wilson, Panzo, Doyle (Rose 23’), McFadzean ©, Allen (Palmer 75’), Sheaf, Gyökeres, Dabo, Godden (Waghorn 75’), Bidwell, Eccles. Subs not used: Moore, Kane, Tavares, Burroughs.