Match Report: Cardiff City 1-1 AFC Bournemouth

Match Reports
Harry Wilson's first Cardiff City goal saw the Bluebirds draw 1-1 with AFC Bournemouth on Wednesday evening.

City had fallen behind to Dominic Solanke's first-half strike, but Wilson's equaliser on his home debut earned his side a deserved share of the spoils.


Four changes from the win over Preston North End saw Joel Bagan and Welshman Wilson make their first Championship starts, with Will Vaulks and Robert Glatzel also starting. 

The Bluebirds’ opening opportunity came after just 18 seconds. Striker Glatzel found pacey Wilson, who dragged his shot from the edge of the box just wide under pressure.

With end-to-end football on display, both sides had chances before the half hour mark. Alex Smithies was forced to save efforts from Adam Smith and Jefferson Lerma, with Junior Hoilett and midfielder Vaulks attempting for City.

The Cherries capitalised on their next opportunity after 35 minutes. Jack Stacey cut the ball back off the right wing and striker Solanke sped in to finish at close range.

The hosts responded by nearing an equaliser three minutes later. Sheyi Ojo found the threatening Wilson, who was storming towards the box – his curling shot travelled agonisingly astray of the opposite post.

After the interval, it took 12 minutes for goalkeeper Smithies to make another terrific stop. Winger Stacey found the onrushing Solanke from the right flank, but the stopper deflected the ball onto the crossbar before gathering.

The Bluebirds were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the opposition box two minutes later. Former AFC Bournemouth loanee Wilson stepped up, whipped the ball over the wall and Asmir Begović managed to keep it out.

City were playing with intense attacking pressure and came close again the following minute. 23-year-old Wilson’s corner was cleared to determined Vaulks, whose powerful header from just inside the area was tipped away.


Cardiff City were rewarded for their efforts shortly after. Off winger Hoilett’s pass, Wilson found the bottom corner with a clinical left-footed finish to secure a deserved goal on his home debut.

With 68 minutes played, Bournemouth were given a free-kick in a similar position to the Bluebirds’ previous. Junior Stanislas took it, driving the ball off the crossbar.

Both teams battled to take the lead, but neither could find another goal prior to the final whistle - taking a point apiece.

Full-time: Cardiff City 1-1 AFC Bournemouth

Cardiff City: Smithies, Bacuna, Morrison, Nelson, Bagan, Pack (Ralls 69’), Vaulks, Wilson, Ojo (Murphy 79’), Hoilett, Glatzel (Moore 72’).

Subs not used: Phillips, Benković, Bamba, Whyte.

AFC Bournemouth: Begović, Mepham, S. Cook, Rico, Stacey, Smith (Simpson 90+4’), Lerma, Gosling, Stanislas, Danjuma (Riquelme 84’), Solanke (Surridge 87’).

Subs not used: Travers, Ofoborh, Billing, L. Cook.