Joe Ralls

Match Report | Cardiff City 1-1 Blackpool

Match Reports

Cardiff City were held to a draw by Blackpool at Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Mark Hudson made two changes to the side that drew with Stoke City last time out, with attackers Mark Harris and Kion Etete coming into the starting XI.

City started brightly and forced the first chance of the game, as captain Joe Ralls found Ryan Wintle on the edge of the area. Wintle's powerful effort forced a save from goalkeeper Daniel Grimshaw.

In another positive attack, right-back Mahlon Romeo drove forward and crossed low for Callum Robinson, whose effort at goal was also saved by Grimshaw.

The visitors created a chance of their own, as a corner led to Shayne Lavery having a volley at goal blocked, before striker Jerry Yates fired over with an acrobatic effort.

City had a strong appeal for penalty waved away on the quarter-hour mark, as Robinson rounded Grimshaw and went down, but no spot-kick was given by the referee.

Callum Robinson

In a swift counter-attack for City, Ralls set Gavin Whyte free on the left, who cut inside and fired just wide of the post. Midfielder Ralls was involved once more, as he received the ball from Etete and struck wide from distance.

The Bluebirds continued to create chances, with Romeo crossing dangerously from the right for Etete, whose header was just off target.

An intricate move almost led to City taking the lead, as Harris fed Wintle with a shrewd pass inside, who broke into the box and fired just past the post.

In the 36th minute, the Bluebirds were rewarded for their persistence as Robinson played through Etete, who lifted the ball over Grimshaw to finish clinically and give City the lead.

Shortly before the break, Whyte was played in on the left and drove towards goal, only to have his effort saved, as the Bluebirds went into the interval with a 1-0 lead.

Kion Etete

At the start of the second-half, City pushed forward in search of a second goal, as Harris cut inside from the right and forced Grimshaw into a save. 

The visitors found an equaliser in the 67th minute however, as a cross from substitute Ian Poveda was headed in by Gary Madine. The striker had earlier been shown a yellow card for stamping on Perry Ng.

Having levelled the scoring, the Tangerines went close to taking the lead, as Madine chipped into the box for substitute Jake Beesley, whose header was just wide of the post.

As City pushed to regain the advantage, Callum O’Dowda found space on the left to cross, but his delivery couldn’t quite be turned goalwards by Robinson.

In another City chance, substitute Jaden Philogene played Etete through, but the striker couldn’t quite beat Grimshaw in a race to the ball.

In added-time, Blackpool left-back Luke Garbutt almost turned the ball into his own net in an attempt to clear. 

Despite applying pressure late-on, the Bluebirds were forced to settle for a point. City return to league action on Boxing Day, welcoming Queens Park Rangers to Cardiff City Stadium for a 5:15pm KO.


Cardiff City: Allsop, Romeo, Ng, Kipré, O’Dowda (Nkounkou 89’), Wintle, Ralls, Whyte (Philogene 63’), Harris (R. Colwill 71’), Robinson, Etete. 

Subs not used: Alnwick, Simpson, Rinomhota, Ojo. 

Blackpool: Grimshaw, Connolly, Husband, Yates (Beesley 65’), Dougall (Poveda 46’), Madine, Williams, Carey, Lavery (Hamilton 65’), Patino, Garbutt. 

Subs not used: Moore, Thompson, Wright, Moore.