Match Report | Cardiff City 3-0 Barnsley

Match Reports
Cardiff City secured a deserved first home win of the season with an impressive victory over Barnsley at CCS.

A dominant performance from Neil Harris' men saw Junior Hoilett's early opener, Joe Ralls' penalty and Harry Wilson's second-half stunner seal the three points.


A couple of crunching tackles from Ralls and Sean Morrison set the tone as the Bluebirds made a convincing start at CCS.

Having asserted their authority in the early exchanges, City's play in the final third was decisive and clinical.

That was shown inside five minutes, as Hoilett swept home an instant opener. Joe Bennett found the Canadian with an early ball, and he spun his marker to finish clinically into the corner. 

With the early advantage, the Bluebirds didn't rest on their laurels as they soon pushed for another.

Wilson's vicious, in-swinging cross was glanced just wide by the on-rushing Robert Glatzel.

And on the 20-minute mark, Marlon Pack's corner found the head of Curtis Nelson in the area, but the centre-half powered his header into the grateful grasp of Jack Walton.

City were looking particularly dangerous on the flanks, delivering fine service to the double threat of Glatzel and Kieffer Moore waiting in the Tykes' box.


One such cross from Bennett again found the head of Glatzel, whose header was held by Walton this time.

Meanwhile, Moore was unfortunate not to get on the score-sheet as his headed effort was saved, before the rebound bounced back off him and wide.

The visitors did have a good chance to equalise as Conor Chaplin raced through. Alex Smithies was on hand to save from both him and Patrick Schmidt though.

While Glatzel saw another strike saved, on the stroke of half-time, City did find their second. 

Some lovely interplay saw Wilson glide into the area, before being scythed down by Michal Helik. After a perplexing pause, the referee did finally point to the spot and Ralls made no mistake to net his third goal in two games.


Barnsley looked an improved side after the interval, enjoying some more territory and possession as the match restarted.

However, they struggled to find a way through a resolute Bluebirds back line, with the home side still looking the most likely to score.

Wilson went close after an incisive pass from the outside of Hoilett's boot, but saw his effort blocked.

Callum Styles did call Smithies back into action; his header was deflected towards goal but tipped over by the City stopper.

But, in the 77th minute, a stunning effort from Wilson put the icing on a superb home performance. 

Receiving the ball off Ralls, the Welshman drove forward before unleashing a beautiful strike into the corner to round off an excellent evening for the Bluebirds in style.

Cardiff City: Smithies, Bacuna, Morrison (C), Nelson, Bennett, Pack, Ralls (Vaulks 85), Wilson (Whyte 79), Hoilett, Glatzel (Ojo 67), Moore.

Subs not used: Phillips, Bamba, Bagan, Murphy.

Barnsley: Walton, Sollbauer, Helik, Andersen, Frieser, James (Halme 80), Mowatt, Styles, Simões (Oduor 40), Schmidt (Adeboyejo 63), Chaplin.

Subs not used: Collins, Kane, Miller, Thomas.