Sory Kaba in action for City at Hull...

Match Report | Hull City 1-0 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Cardiff City were narrowly defeated by Hull City at the MKM Stadium on Saturday afternoon.  

Cyrus Christie’s second-half strike was enough to earn all three points for the Tigers.

Boss Sabri Lamouchi made two changes to the side that fell to defeat to Luton Town last time out, with Callum O’Dowda and Jaden Philogene coming into the starting XI, with a notable place on the bench for new signing Sory Kaba.

The hosts started brightly and went close to taking an early lead through Regan Slater, who cut inside from the left and had an effort deflected onto the post. In another dangerous attack from the Tigers, right-back Christie’s delivery from the right just evaded striker Óscar Estupiñán. From the resulting corner, the ball came to centre-back Alfie Jones, who headed just over.

As City grew into the contest, Callum Robinson had an effort with a 30-yard free-kick, which flew just wide. With 22 minutes on the clock, winger Philogene was brought down on the right side of the box by Callum Elder, earning a penalty for Lamouchi’s men. With Robinson stepping up to take the spot-kick, goalkeeper Matt Ingram dived correctly to his right to make the save.

In a competitive opening period, Elder crossed towards midfielder Ozan Tufan, whose tame effort was saved by Allsop. At the other end, City broke through O’Dowda, whose dangerous low cross just evaded Philogene at the back post. Just before the break, Tigers striker Aaron Connolly had an effort at goal, which Allsop comfortably saved, ensuring the contest was level at the interval.

Jaden Philogene in action for City at Hull...

At the start of the second-half, the hosts had a chance to go ahead, as the ball dropped kindly to Tufan in the box, who struck over the bar. The Tigers went close once more through Christie, who cut inside from the right and struck just wide of the post. With 55 minutes on the clock, Lamouchi introduced striker Kaba for his first City appearance.

The hosts took the lead in the 62nd minute, as Christie cut inside in the box and fired into the net. City reacted well to falling behind, going close to an equaliser through Philogene, who drove into the area, which led to Ryan Wintle having an effort blocked from the edge of the area. From the resulting corner, the ball was played short to Philogene, who turned well and crossed into the box, with his delivery not quite finding a teammate.

City had a chance to level late-on, as the ball dropped to Kaba in the box, whose close-range effort was just kept out by Ingram. Despite the efforts to find an equaliser, the Tigers held out for the three points. 


Hull City: Ingram, Elder, Jones, Tufan (Longman 70’), Docherty, McLoughlin, Estupiñán, Seri, Slater (Coyle 90’), Christie, Connolly (Greaves 79’). Subs not used: Darlow, Figueiredo, Woods, Simons. 

Cardiff City: Allsop, Ng, Kipré, McGuinness, Simpson (Etete 68’), Wintle ©, Sawyers, Ojo (Harris 90’), O’Dowda, Philogene, Robinson (Kaba 55’). Subs not used: Alnwick, X Benjamin, Ralls, Rinomhota.