Karlan Grant in action for Cardiff City

Match Report | Plymouth Argyle 3-1 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Cardiff City were defeated by Plymouth Argyle at Home Park on Saturday afternoon.

Despite Perry Ng’s opener, a brace from Ryan Hardie and a goal from Morgan Whittaker saw the hosts claim victory.

City boss Erol Bulut made four changes to the side that faced Leeds United last time out, with Andy Rinomhota, Rubin Colwill, Ollie Tanner and Yakou Méïté coming into the starting XI.

Yakou Meite in action for Cardiff City

After a competitive start, the Bluebirds took the lead in the 11th minute, as a corner dropped to Ng in the box, who was alert to power the ball home for his fifth goal of the season. At the other end, the hosts almost fired straight back, as Hardie broke into the box, with his low cross just evading fellow attacker Whittaker.

City found joy in winning the ball high in the Pilgrims’ half, as Ryan Wintle won the ball back for the Bluebirds, before having a left-footed effort deflect into the arms of goalkeeper Conor Hazard. However, the hosts found an equaliser with 31 minutes on the clock, as Hardie netted from close-range.

Just before the break, Pilgrims midfielder Alfie Devine broke into the box and fired low towards goal, only for City goalkeeper Jak Alnwick to make the save, ensuring the score was level at the interval.

Perry Ng in action for Cardiff City

Ian Foster’s side made a fast start to the second period, as the hosts took the lead in the 51st minute through Hardie, who found space in the box and fired into the net. City responded with a direct run from substitute Mahlon Romeo, which led to the right-back crossing dangerously into the area, only for Hazard to claim at the second attempt.

The Bluebirds then had a series of chances to equalise, as Josh Bowler was twice denied by Hazard in the Pilgrims goal. From the rebound, left-back Jamilu Collins struck towards the net, but the hosts’ goalkeeper was again on-hand to tip the ball over.

City were punished on the counter-attack, as Argyle added a third in the 81st minute through Whittaker, who applied a finish after being found by Hardie, sealing the three points for the hosts. The Bluebirds return to action on Saturday, February 3rd with a trip to face Watford at Vicarage Road.


Plymouth Argyle: Hazard, Mumba (Randell 77’), Scarr, Hardie (Waine 90+2'), Whittaker ©, Miller, Devine (Edwards 77’), Gyabi, Galloway, Phillips, Forshaw (Houghton 84’). Subs not used: Burton, Pleguezuelo, Wright, Bundu, Sorinola.

Cardiff City: Alnwick, Ng, Goutas, McGuinness, Collins, Wintle (C), Rinomhota (Bowler 65’), R Colwill, Tanner (Romeo 46’), Grant, Méïté (Etete 65’). Subs not used: Rúnarsson, Sawyers, Siopis, J Colwill, Conte, Ashford.