Jaden Philogene, City winger, in action at Reading...

Match Report | Reading 2-1 Cardiff City

Match Reports
The Bluebirds fell to a narrow 2-1 defeat to Reading on Saturday afternoon.

Steve Morison made one change to the starting eleven which defeated Norwich City last time out, with Curtis Nelson replacing the suspended Perry Ng.

Elsewhere in the squad, new recruits Jaden Philogene and Kion Etete were named on the bench, with both introduced as second half substitutes.

City took the lead after just four minutes, with Callum O'Dowda netting his first goal for the Club. The winger did well to get onto the end of Ryan Wintle's free-kick, stooping to head past Joe Lumley and into the far corner.

Callum O'Dowda

However, the Royals got back into the contest after 27 minutes, with the hosts awarded a penalty kick. Tom Ince latched onto a loose pass and rounded Ryan Allsop, with Nelson forced into a challenge. From the spot, Shane Long fired past Allsop to level the score.

Minutes later, the hosts had a good opportunity to find a second, with Nesta Guinness-Walker sliding in at the back post. Andy Yiadom delivered a low cross along the face of goal, with the Reading youngster unable to direct the ball goalward.

After the break, both sides had chances from set pieces - Joe Ralls delivered a teasing ball which just evaded a City boot, whilst Cédric Kipré produced a fine block from Yiadom at the other end.

Romaine Sawyers

The Royals turned the game on its head after 63 minutes, with Ince firing home. The winger picked up the ball and roamed forward, before striking powerfully into the top corner.

Morison responded with the introductions of Tom Sang, Philogene and Etete, though City were unable to find a way past the Reading defence in the final stages.

The Bluebirds' best chance to draw level fell to Kipré in injury time, but the defender's looping header clipped the roof of Lumley's net.

City are next in action on Tuesday, 9th August, with Portsmouth the visitors to Cardiff City Stadium in the First Round of the Carabao Cup.

FINAL SCORE: Reading 2-1 Cardiff City

Reading: Lumley, Guinness-Walker, McIntyre, Holmes, Yiadom, Hoilett (Clarke 90+5'), Fornah, Hendrick, Ejaria (Abrefa 66'), Ince, Long (Ehibhationhan 81').

Subs not used: Bouzanis, Holzman, Leavy, Tuma.

Cardiff City: Allsop, Romeo (Philogene 74'), Nelson, Kipré, Collins, Wintle, Rinomhota (Ralls 46'), Sawyers (Sang 74'), O'Dowda, Ojo (Etete 75'), Watters (Harris 52').

Subs not used: Alnwick, Denham.