Manolis Siopis in action for City at Southampton...

Match Report | Southampton 2-0 Cardiff City

Match Reports
It was the home side who triumphed on a cold afternoon in Hampshire on December 2nd.

Two early goals from Adam Armstrong were the difference in difficult conditions.

Erol Bulut on the touchline in Hampshire...

Erol Bulut made three changes to the starting XI from midweek, with the available again Jamilu Collins and Karlan Grant joined in the first eleven by Ryan Wintle, who captained the Bluebirds.

It was the hosts who started stronger in Hampshire, and found an opener after 11 minutes. Dangerous forward Adam Armstrong found space on the edge of the box, curling into the top corner. The same man added a second goal after 16 minutes, heading in at close range and leaving Bulut's side with plenty to do.

City's first real sight of goal came after Flynn Downes felled Josh Bowler outside the penalty box. Perry Ng stepped up, but saw his free-kick blocked, as was Manolis Siopis' follow-up strike.

The Bluebirds grew into the match. Yakou Méïté was set free by Dimitrios Goutas late in the half. Saints goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu beat Méïté to the ball, but took the man as well. Karlan Grant had the opportunity to shoot from 35-yards with the goalie out, but the two recovering Southampton defenders kept the ball out of the net.

Grant had the best chance of the opening 45 minutes for the Bluebirds just as the five minutes of added time was announced. The on-loan West Bromwich Albion man did well to reach Ng's cross, but he could only divert over from a tight angle.

Karlan Grant on the touchline in Hampshire...

The away side had the ball in the net for the third time after the break, but Che Adams' effort was correctly ruled out for offside.

Grant continued to be a danger man for City. Just before the hour mark, Karlan lifted the ball over Kyle Walker-Peters on the half-way line and drove towards goal. He then unleashed a powerful low strike from 30-yards that had Bazunu scrambling, but it went just wide of goal.

Both side made changes in the second half, with the Bluebirds looking for someone to make a difference in attack, while their hosts went for a third goal to make sure of the win. Substitute Joe Aribo saw his strike bounce out off the post while fellow replacement Ryan Fraser was unable to score at close range while stretching to reach the ball.

Bulut welcomed Rubin Colwill, Ollie TannerIké Ugbo, Joe Ralls and Kion Etete into the team during the second half, but they couldn't break down a defiant Southampton side, recently relegated from the top flight. City return to action in the Welsh capital next weekend against Millwall.


Southampton: Bazunu, Walker-Peters, Manning, Downes, A. Armstrong, C. Adams (Mara 81'), S. Armstrong (Aribo 62'), Harwood-Bellis, Alcatraz (Fraser 62'), Charles, Bednarek. Subs Not Used: Lumley, Holgate, Bree, Edozie, Amo-Ameyaw, Dibling.

Cardiff City: Rúnarsson, Ng, Goutas, McGuinness, Collins, Wintle, Siopis (Ralls 75'), Robinson (R.Colwill 55'), Bowler (Tanner 62'), Grant (Etete 75'), Méïté (Ugbo 62'). Subs Not Used: Alnwick, Romeo, Panzo, E. Adams.