Anthony Pilkington, Aron Gunnarsson

Robins & Bluebirds | Memorable Meetings

Ahead of the Bluebirds’ trip to Bristol City on Sunday afternoon, we take a look back at some famous Severnside derby fixtures from years gone by...
Danny Ward celebrates his winning goal...
July 4th 2020 – Bristol City 0-1 Cardiff City

Neil Harris took his Cardiff City team to Ashton Gate in the summer of 2020, with his side vying for promotion to the Premier League as the 2019/20 Sky Bet Championship season moved into its final stages.

The Bluebirds were sat in 6th position, occupying the final Play-Off place coming into the contest, and were four points clear of Preston North End in 7th position. Bristol City, meanwhile, were in 12th spot, six points short of the Bluebirds.

A tense first half in the Severnside derby resulted in both sides going into the break goalless, with few opportunities of note.

The Bluebirds had the better of the chances throughout the second half, but it was the introduction of Danny Ward that proved vital to the outcome of the match.

In the 85th minute, the forward was on hand to sensationally put away a firm strike after a brilliant through ball from Lee Tomlin, securing his seventh goal of the season.

With the deadlock broken, City did well to hold on to their narrow lead. The winning goal was to be the 16th goal scored by a Cardiff City substitute that season, more than any other team in the Championship.

With the final whistle blown in Bristol, the Bluebirds had secured a comfortable cushion ahead of the chasing pack in the race for a Play-Off spot.

Cardiff City vs. Bristol City, 2017
January 14th 2017 – Bristol City 2-3 Cardiff City

City arrived at Ashton Gate following a sturdy 1-0 victory over Aston Villa, and Neil Warnock’s side produced another memorable performance to secure a pulsating Severnside derby victory.

City began the day in 18th place, three points clear of the relegation zone, after an inconsistent start to the 2016/17 campaign.

Bristol City were the more dominant side in the opening 45 minutes, but failed to carve out a clear-cut chance. Indeed, it was Bluebirds' midfielder Peter Whittingham who came closest, as his shot deflected over the bar with nine minutes gone.

However, the game bursts into life on 51 minutes when Joe Bryan's superb 20-yard volley hit the Cardiff bar, but bounced into the net off the back of goalkeeper Brian Murphy to fire the Robins into a second-half lead.

Warnock's men were handed a lifeline on 74 minutes when Joe Ralls was brought down in the box and a penalty was given. Anthony Pilkington made no mistake from the spot, finishing beyond the diving Frank Fielding.

A flurry of late goals followed, with the points changing hands on several occasions. Tammy Abraham put Lee Johnson's side back ahead with a close-range finish, but on 82 minutes Cardiff were level again, as substitute Kadeem Harris headed home.

And just three minutes later, Pilkington let loose a fantastic 25-yard strike to hand the Bluebirds all three points and a memorable away win.

The victory moved City well clear of the drop, and secured a double over their Severnside counterparts, having beaten them in South Wales earlier in the season in Warnock's first game at the helm.

Cardiff City net six at Ashton Gate...
January 26th 2010 – Bristol City 0-6 Cardiff City

One of our most iconic victories against Bristol City came in January 2010, with a performance that the travelling City fans would not forget in a hurry.

Dave Jones’ side travelled to Ashton Gate in good form, having gone unbeaten in seven of their last eight Championship fixtures - a win for the Bluebirds would strengthen their grip on a Play-Off spot.

City made a blistering start and found the opening goal just 19 minutes in, courtesy of Peter WhittinghamJoe Ledley's pass sent Michael Chopra clear, and although Dean Gerken pulled off a superb save, the ball fell for Whittingham to stroke home, as he went on to become the Club’s top goal scorer that season, netting 26 goals in all competitions.

The Bluebirds doubled their advantage in the 23rd minute when Adam Matthews' long ball found Gavin Rae, whose scuffed shot beat Gerken and left Ross McCormack with a simple tap-in. 

With City continuing to add pressure, two became three less than a minute later when Ledley played the ball to Chopra, with the striker applying a low shot past the ‘keeper. 

The former Newcastle and Sunderland striker turned creator for the fourth, whipping in a low cross which defender Liam Fontaine slammed into his own net on 43 minutes. With the Bluebirds firmly in the driving seat at this point, they took a comfortable 4-0 lead into the break.

Any hope of an unlikely home comeback was extinguished less than a minute after the restart, when Chopra added a fifth goal. Mark Kennedy slipped the ball through for Jay Bothroyd, and his touch sent Chopra clear to seal his brace for the evening.

Just before the final whistle, the Bluebirds put the icing on the cake, as McCormack found the back of the net with a fine finish. After receiving the ball from a corner, he beat a number of players before smashing home from distance to gain his second of the game.

The final whistle confirmed City's biggest away victory against the Robins, helping them to secure a 4th placed finish in the Championship that year.