Sean Morrison and Aden Flint celebrate at CCS...

Through the archives | Millwall

Ahead of our match against Millwall this weekend, we delve in the archives to bring you memories of past City successes.
Andy Keogh

Millwall took the lead in our 2010 clash at CCS through Scott Barron early in the first half, but Jay Bothroyd drew City level midway through the first period. A red card for Liam Trotter certainly made life easier, but the Bluebirds struggled to find another goal against the ten-man Lions.

However, deep into second half stoppage time, Andy Keogh nodded home from Bothroyd’s free kick to wrap up all three points and keep the Bluebirds in the automatic promotion places.

Peter Whittingham, Craig Noone, Tommy Smith, Aron Gunnarsson

Trips to The Den are never easy, but Bluebirds fans enjoyed a good day out early on into the 2012/13 season. Despite a good start from Millwall, City grew into the game as the first half went on but headed into the break with nothing to show for it.

However, a handful of minutes into the second half, a quickfire double sealed the win. Firstly, Peter Whittingham curled in a sumptuous strike from 20-yards out, before Craig Noone finished off from a Tommy Smith pass. That was our first away win over the Lions since 1982.

Rudy Gestede

Fast forward to December 2012 and the return fixture against Kenny Jackett’s side. In London, the Bluebirds made a slow start, but back on home turf, confidence was flowing through the team straight from kick-off.

Whittingham, who always seemed to be in the thick of the action in games against Millwall, saw an effort deflected onto the bar, but City fans need not wait long for the opening and only goal of the game. Noone’s cross was poked home by Rudy Gestede, as the win kept us top of the Championship.

Aden Flint celebrates his goal at CCS...

We rewind back to our last victory against Millwall, and what a day it was for our defenders. After a goalless first half, Aden Flint took centre stage.

The centre half combined twice with Ryan Giles within four minutes to put City two goals in front: his first a clever flick, and his second a good header. Despite Benik Afobe pulling one back for the visitors, Flint’s centre-back partner, Sean Morrison, ensured all three points with a looping header of his own.