Cardiff City U18s

U18 Match Report | Cardiff City 5-2 Bournemouth

Cardiff City’s U18s came out on top against Bournemouth in their latest PDL South fixture, prevailing 5-2.

A brace from Trey George, along with goals for Jake Davies, Joseff Edwards, and Louis Phillips sealed City’s eighth league win in a row.

U18 manager Tom Hutton elected to make two changes from last weekend’s away win against Ipswich Town, with Jake Davies and Osian Rees coming into the starting XI.

Tom Hutton in training for Cardiff City U18

From the off, both teams were looking to press high and get on the front foot, and it certainly made for an exciting half. The Bluebirds had the better of possession early on and managed to run in behind the Cherries defence, but they couldn’t find a clear shot on goal.

Bournemouth would hit back with positive spells themselves, but they didn’t test goalkeeper Luke Armstrong. City then took advantage, as George held onto possession well before playing Davies through, who slotted the ball home beautifully. The goal seemed to calm the Bluebirds, who would go on to control the rest of the half.

As City doubled the lead, Davies won the ball up high and played in George, who struck a composed finish past Noah Crisp in the Bournemouth net. Then, a minute before the break, Edwards rose highest from a Jac Thomas corner to nod in the third. 

Dakarai Mafico in training for Cardiff City U18s

It was clear to see City were enjoying their football, and they found a fourth in fine fashion, as a clever free-kick routine was slammed home by Louis Phillips. But the Cherries weren’t down and out yet, and scored two goals in two minutes, both coming through Jonny Stuttle. His first was a finish from inside the box, while his second came from the penalty spot after a handball by a City player.

After a scuffle 15 minutes before the final-whistle, the referee awarded a red card for City’s Thomas and Bournemouth’s Karlos Gregory. The game certainly felt in the balance after the two sending’s off, but minutes before the end, the Bluebirds settled the contest. George was fouled in the area, and the referee had no other option but to point to the spot. He stepped up himself and powered his spot kick down the middle.

George would have a chance to seal his hat-trick with the final kick of the game, as City were awarded another penalty, but the forward struck over the woodwork. After a fine performance, the Bluebirds claimed another three points.

City’s next game will be next Saturday when they travel to face Watford. Kick-off at 1pm.


Cardiff City: Armstrong ©, Kpakio, Edwards, Debono, Thomas, Mafico, Perrett (Watts 90’), Rees (Lester 89’), Phillips (Talbot 69’), Davies, George. Subs not used: Higgs, Reynolds, Watts.

Bournemouth: Crisp, Whitehead, Holman, Gregory, William, Williams, Carroll, Osborne ©, Stuttle, Clarke, Salmon. Subs not used: Seeley, Kasukumya, Sills, Day, Merritt.

Trey George

After the game, we spoke to goalscorer George, who reflected on another victory.

“There were ups and downs throughout the game," Trey began. "I thought we played unbelievably well in the first half. We dominated the game, but they came out in the second half. They brought it back to make it 4-2, but the composure and the team spirit we showed to get that fifth goal and see off the game was good.

“When I’m in front of goal, I feel that I can score most of the time. This season, I’ve scored quite a few goals in the league and I’m really enjoying it right now. It doesn’t feel like we’ve won eight games in a row, it’s gone quite quickly. All the boys are in good spirits and we’re all enjoying our football, which is a big key to success.”