U21 Report Burnley

U21 Match Report | Cardiff City 1-2 Burnley

Cardiff City’s U21 side were defeated by the Clarets Cardiff International Sports Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

Raheem Conte’s opener in the first half put the Bluebirds ahead at the break, but the visitors responded with two of their own after the interval.


Early chances were created at both ends in Leckwith. Throughout an intense opening fifteen minutes, Morgan Lewis was twice called upon to make a crucial intervention, with City’s build-up then consistently beginning at the back.

City’s first big chance came thanks to Cian Ashford’s break away from his marker, seeing the forward lay off the ball well for teammate Joel Colwill, whose shot was held by ‘keeper Charlie Casper.

The Bluebirds were ahead before the half-hour mark thanks to Conte’s terrific strike. Cutting back at the edge of the area to give himself space, Raheem arched an effort high towards the top right corner, surpassing the reach of Casper.

Following the break, play continued much as it had done throughout the first half, with chances presenting themselves for both sides.

Lewis Richardson was twice denied an equaliser in the opening five minutes of the second half, with Lewis doing well to stretch out his foot and deflect the forward’s latter effort.

Crole tested Casper moments later, as the forward shot towards the near post from inside the area, forcing a good save from the ‘keeper.

Richardson equalised for the visitors just before the hour mark, finishing under pressure and eluding the reach of Turner from inside the area.

Continuing to pile the pressure onto the hosts, Clarets skipper Mark Helm finished well for a second goal ten minutes later.

City attempted a to find a comeback throughout the remainder of the encounter, but weren't able to find an equaliser, leading to their first league defeat of the season.


Cardiff: Turner, Semenyo, Lewis, Benjamin, Keeping, Antwi (Wigley 71'), Colwill, Conte (Kenniford 71'), Leahy, Ashford (Jefferies 46'), Crole (Hughes 71'). Subs not used: Dennis.

Burnley: Casper, Hugill, Sassi, Ward, Dodgson, Helm ©, Bauress (Deane 79'), Tucker (Armstrong 57'), Richardson (Coppack 61'), Ratchford (McCullough 79'), McGlynn. Subs not used: Moss.

Darren Purse

Following the final whistle, U21s Manager Darren Purse reflected on the result:

“It takes more than being the best team in possession of the ball to win a football match,” began Darren. “I think today that Burnley attacked the ball better, were more physical and outworked us.

“We were outfought, and as a young group they’ve got to learn from that; you can’t just turn up and expect to win a match without putting the hard yards in.

“We weren’t decisive enough in the final third, and defensively we didn’t work hard enough to get back behind the ball. Today is a steep learning curve for the young lads, and we’ve got a young squad that can be stretched with injuries. In the second half we had seven second year scholars on the pitch, so part of the learning process for these lads is how to not be overpowered in those situations, and they’ll be better for this experience.”