Club News

In front of nearly a thousand people, Cardiff City’s U18 side stormed to a 6-1 win over South Wales rivals Swansea City at Cardiff City Stadium on Friday night.

The home side took an early lead when Tommy O’Sullivan controlled the ball on the edge of the Swansea City penalty area before skilfully placing a curling left footed drive past Oliver Davies for his fifth goal of the campaign after ten minutes. The lead was doubled for the home side just two minutes later when goalie Davies couldn’t get to a long throw and towering centre half Josh Yorwerth diverted the ball into the back of the empty net.

Swansea probably should have halved the deficit after sixteen minutes. A quick break from midfield gave striker Alex Samuel a real chance just five yards from goal but the forward just nudged the ball wide of David Richards’ post while sliding to reach the opportunity and under pressure from the City defence.

The away side were made to pay for this missed chance soon after, as Cardiff scored a third goal after just seventeen minutes with new signing Rhys Healey netting his first for the Academy after some fine build up play. Brad Williams played a neat one-two before crossing the ball from the bye-line to Healey who volleyed the ball home from five yards.

A fantastic half for the home side was rounded off by a fourth goal on forty minutes. Left back Kane Owen quickly laid the ball to O’Sullivan from his free kick and the playmaker crossed superbly for Yorwerth to poke the ball into the bottom corner from inside the penalty area for his second of the game.

The second half began with Swansea looking for a way back into a game that was being firmly dominated by the home side. While the Swans started the half in a probing fashion they soon found themselves picking the ball out of the net for a fifth time. Former Gap Connah’s Quay man Healey ran onto a loose ball and despite not being able to get a shot away the ball fell to Anthony Bell, the left winger steadied himself before unleashing an incredible left footed drive from twenty five yards that keeper Davies had no chance of keeping out.

Swansea did manage to score a consolation goal after sixty two minutes with forward Samuel nodding home a corner kick after Josh Sheehan had helped the ball towards goal. The City back line including Curtis Watkins and Brad Wickham had kept the Swansea attack quiet for the majority of the game and were unlucky to concede this goal.

The final word on a great evening at Cardiff City Stadium though was had by the home side as Dane Griffiths got himself on the score-sheet. A fine ball down the right wing was well received by forward Healey, he then beat his marker before crossing the ball for Griffiths to run onto and fire in from inside the six yard box. It was a fine reward for Griffiths who during the ninety minutes put in a fine performance on his road to recovery after a long term injury lay-off.

It was a fantastic day all round for Cardiff City’s Academy against their South Wales counterparts. The Capital City’s U16 side also ran out winners against Swansea City on Feb 22nd with a 4-2 win at Cardiff Athletics Stadium.
Cardiff City: Richards, Wickham, Owen, Williams, C Watkins, Yorwerth (James, 60), Griffiths, Wharton (B Watkins, 60), Healey, O’Sullivan, Bell (Bowen, 80). Subs Not Used: Matthews (GK), Southam.