Club News

Academy into FAW Youth Cup third round

City’s Academy made it two cup wins in consecutive nights with a 2-1 win over Newport County in the FAW Youth Cup Second Round on Wednesday evening.

Eli Phipps went close for Cardiff two minutes into the match, the young forward met a low Dylan Rees cross from the right, firing over the crossbar under pressure from the Newport defence. 

It was the home side however that found the back of the net first at Spytty Park with Tre Marrett showing a great touch and turn of pace before unleashing an unstoppable shot from twenty yards into the bottom of Joe Massaro's goal. 

The Exiles pushed on for a second goal, taking the game to their Premier League opposition. Lewis Jones’ set piece technique almost added that it on twenty five minutes with a rasping free kick that struck Massaro’s crossbar. The young midfielder troubled the Cardiff goal two minutes later, his latest effort a curling free kick that defied City’s defence and keeper but bounced out off to goal post. 

Newport’s chances of maintaining their lead took a huge blow soon after however, as goal-scorer Marrett was sent from the field of play following a dangerous tackle and tussle with City defender Ashley Baker. Massaro and Phipps were booked for Cardiff following the aftermath of the challenge. 

The Bluebirds pushed for an all-important levelling goal before the break, Ellis Bellamy’s rasping drive from distance wasn’t held by ‘Port keeper Keating with Phipps beating the shot-stopper to the rebound and shooting for goal only to be denied on the goal-line by the home defence. 

Phipps didn’t have to wait long though to add his fourth goal of the FAW Youth Cup this season, levelling the game a minute later – beating Keating to the ball before rounding the host’s keeper and slotting home. 

City could have gone in at the break ahead, Phipps' looping header from a Jamie Veale corner ricocheting to safety off the inside of the Newport post.

HALF-TIME: Newport County 1-1 Cardiff City
Cardiff came out for the second period in determined fashion and almost took the lead four minutes into the half with Gary Lavery hitting the crossbar for Kevin Nicholson’s side following another dangerous Veale set piece. They finally took the lead with sixty five minutes on the clock, with Phipps tapping home at the near post much to the delight of the City coaching staff. 

Phipps beat Keating for a third time on seventy one minutes, the young striker dinking the ball delicately over the outrushing ‘Port keeper wide on the left only for the two covering defenders to clear his effort on the line – denying Phipps a second consecutive hat-trick in the FAW Youth Cup. 

Left-back David Tutonda came close to adding a third for City in the last few minutes, but his stinging shot was well saved by Keating. 

It was a deserved win for Cardiff in the local derby at Spyyty Park in a highly competitive match. City's Academy will now face either Cardiff Corries or Haverfordwest County in the third round of the FAW Youth Cup, the pair play their second round tie on Sunday.

Teams - Newport County: Keating, Findlay, Parselle, Victory, Redman, Baldwin, Omoregie (Wood, 61), Holmes (Belhaldeen, 75), Marrett, Owen Evans, Jones. Subs Not Used: Preece, Flay, Christie. 

Goals: Marrett (10) 

Cardiff City: Massaro, Rees (J Watkins, 76), Tutonda, Veale, Baker (Okoye, 81), Wickham, Pearson, B Watkins (Taylor, 81), Phipps, Lavery, Bellamy. Subs Not Used: Okoye, Matthews, Noor, Taylor. 

Goals: Phipps (42, 65)