Match report for AFC St. Austell vs Cardiff City

Match Reports

Cardiff City U23s played out a 2-2 draw with AFC St Austell in their opening game of pre-season in Cornwall.

With the sea breeze blowing in St Austell, City were quick to impress in the opening exchanges, as skipper Jamie Veale dictated the play in the centre of the park. 

A smart run from Declan John on the left gave him the space to cross the ball towards Ibrahim Meite, whose early effort was scuffed narrowly wide. 

As they continued to stamp their authority on the game, a concise through ball from Marco Weymans released Cameron Coxe, who delivered another dangerous cross.

However, when that was cleared, St Austell had a great chance to take the lead, only for Oliver Byrne to pull of a superb one-on-one save.

The Bluebirds then countered at pace to break the deadlock themselves. Veale’s neat pass found Mark Harris, who finished smartly from the edge of the area. 

City threatened to double the score through a Veale free-kick and a further effort from Harris, but their lead would last less than ten minutes.

A St Austell free-kick caused the City back-line some difficulties, and Will Tinsley pounced to covert at the back post.

With half-time approaching, the home side upped the ante, and the Bluebirds had to rely on a stunning save to keep out a viciously struck free-kick from forty yards.

After half-time, City showed their intent to reclaim the lead, pinning their hosts inside their own half. Following a couple of dangerous corners, Harris came close to doubling his tally, but his shot was well saved.

The Bluebirds found the goal to take the lead just after the hour mark. Overlapping full-back Coxe produced a fine cross that John - now playing further forward on the left - bundled home from close range.

Once again though, City were then pegged back within ten minutes as Tom Chambers converted from another well delivered St Austell free-kick.

Late efforts from Veale and Harris almost provided a winner for the Bluebirds, while St Austell also threatened on the break with the clock ticking down. 

However, the referee then blew the final whistle, calling an end to Cardiff City U23’s first game of pre-season with the score at 2-2.

AFC St Austell: Chapman, Davies, Watts, Giles, Chambers, Dingle, Reski, Richardson, Eddy, Goldsworthy, Tinsley

Subs: Roberts, Pearce, Wearne, Lean, Hamshaw, Flack

Cardiff City: Byrne (Duffey 61’), Coxe, John, Veale, Humphries, Young, M. Harris, Weymans (Trialist 61’), Meite (Trialist 61), Trialist (Waite 46’), Trialist (Abbruzzese 46’). 

Subs: Trialist.

Cardiff City U23sPre-Season 2017Cornwall