Phoebie Poole

Adran Trophy Final Report | Cardiff Met 3-1 Cardiff City


Cardiff City Women fell to a 3-1 defeat to Cardiff Metropolitan University in the Adran Trophy Final on Sunday afternoon.

Goals from Erin Murray and Ellie Preece gave the Archers the victory, with captain Siobhan Walsh on the scoresheet for City.

Head coach Iain Darbyshire made two changes to the side that defeated The New Saints last time out, with Lily Billingham and Phoebie Poole coming into the starting XI.

The Bluebirds started brightly and created a chance in the opening minute, as Poole beat the offside trap and fired just wide of the post.

As City continued to apply pressure in search of an opener, defender Megan Bowen struck a brilliant effort from distance, which goalkeeper Amelia Forkings tipped wide. From the resulting corner, captain Siobhan Walsh headed just over the woodwork.

Despite a positive start, the Archers took the lead in the 15th minute, as Murray’s penalty found the net. City reacted well to falling behind, with Danielle Green finding space at the back post, firing just wide. However, Met doubled their lead in the 23rd minute, as Preece squared for Murray to tap home.

Hannah Power

As City looked to halve the deficit before the break, Poole went close with a dangerous free-kick, before Ffion Price’s cross just evaded the striker in another chance.

Just before the interval, some great work from Green saw the wing-back find space on the left, with her cross almost finding Rhianne Oakley.

The Bluebirds continued to apply pressure early in the second period, as Seren Watkins fired over from the edge of the box. In another attack, Green cut inside from the left and struck at goal, forcing Forkings into a save.

City pulled a goal back in the 68th minute through Walsh, who fired home from the penalty spot, after Oakley was brought down by Forkings.

With Darbyshire’s side pushing forward in search of an equaliser, the Archers restored their two-goal advantage in the 78th minute, as Preece finished past Ceryn Chamberlain.

City applied late pressure, but couldn’t mount a comeback, with Met clinching the trophy. The Bluebirds are back in league action next weekend, facing the Archers at Cardiff International Sports Campus on Sunday, 19 March, 2pm KO.

Cardiff Metropolitan University: Forkings, Pinder, Davidson, Corne, Turner ©, Hancocks, Webb, Richardson, Murray, Allen, Preece.

Subs not used: Smith, Griffiths, Pearson, Colleton, Carr.

Cardiff City Women: Chamberlain, Price, Power, S Walsh, Bowen (Collie 86’), Green, Watkins, Broadhurst, Billingham (Atkins 77’), Poole, Oakley.

Subs not used: Roberts, Cook, Pearce.

Iain Darbyshire

Reflecting on a difficult afternoon for the Bluebirds, head coach Darbyshire gave his assessment of the performance.

“I thought too many were off the pace today,” Iain began. “There have been warning signs in the last few weeks and unfortunately, it all came to show today. We take it on the chin, there’s no excuses from us.

“I don’t think we were at it for the full 90 minutes. We had moments in the game, but we didn’t take them. We’ll dust ourselves down, it’s a big wake-up call and we’ll fully focus on next weekend.”