The Bluebirds celebrate Bacuna's opener at Bloomfield Road...

Match Report | Blackpool 0-2 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Cardiff City comfortably defeated Blackpool 2-0 in their first away outing of the Championship season at Bloomfield Road on Saturday afternoon.

Leandro Bacuna and Kieffer Moore scored the goals as City earned their opening three points of the campaign.

Kieffer Moore celebrates his goal at Blackpool...

Mick McCarthy made one change from the 1-1 draw with Barnsley as skipper Sean Morrison replaced the injured Mark McGuinness in defence.

The Bluebirds started strongly and their opening opportunity came after eight minutes. Captain Morrison’s flick-on was met by Aden Flint whose header was kept out by Chris Maxwell.

Determined City came close again just two minutes later. James Collins played the ball in behind the defence and Ryan Giles sped onto it before his shot from a narrow angle was tipped away by stopper Maxwell.

The visitors were on top and another wave of attack saw them near the opener with 14 minutes played. Luke Garbutt headed the ball into the path of defender Flint, whose half-volley cannoned off the crossbar.

Cardiff City went forward once more, three minutes later. Joel Bagan’s high cross from the left flank was headed on target by 30-year-old Collins, but goalkeeper Maxwell saved.

The away side crafted two opportunities inside one minute around the half hour mark. Striker Collins’ downward header was stopped by 31-year-old Maxwell, before winger Giles’ low curler from just outside the box was tipped wide.

City had a terrific opportunity to go ahead with seven minutes of the opening 45 remaining. Towering Flint headed across goal and centre-back Morrison touched the ball into the path of threatening Collins, who struck over at close range. The Bluebirds in firm control of the first half but unable to open the scoring.

Sean Morrison in action for City at Bloomfield Road...

After the interval, the Bluebirds continued in attacking fashion and deservedly broke the deadlock, seven minutes in. Marlon Pack’s quick long throw was flicked on by 30-year-old Morrison and midfielder Leandro Bacuna headed home at the back post.

Leandro Bacuna celebrates his opener at Bloomfield Road...

Cardiff City were on top and hunted for a second, nearing it after 68 minutes. 21-year-old Giles’ corner was met by defender Morrison, but Welshman Maxwell saved.

The Seasiders caught a rare sight of goal shortly after and Dillon Phillips pulled out a wonderful save. Grant Ward’s attempt from range took a wicked deflection and the Bluebirds’ No.1 managed to acrobatically tip the ball over.

City responded by coming close twice in the space of two minutes. With 72 minutes played, on-loan Giles’ ambitious strike was kept out, before Irish international Collins had his effort stopped.

The Bluebirds went on to double their advantage after 86 minutes. Substitute Kieffer Moore making his impact felt, hammering his header home from Giles’ superb cross off the left wing.

Kieffer Moore celebrates with Ryan Giles at Blackpool...

Cardiff City continued to threaten for the remainder of the match, but no further goals came with the Bluebirds taking three points back to South Wales.


Blackpool: Maxwell, Connolly, Keogh, Husband, Garbutt, Dougall, Ward, Hamilton (Bowler 63’), Anderson, John-Jules (Lavery 76’), Yates. Subs not used: Grimshaw, Casey, Ekpiteta, James, Carey.

Cardiff City: Phillips, Ng, Flint, Morrison, Nelson, Bagan, Pack, Ralls (Vaulks 77’), Giles, Bacuna, Collins (Moore 77’). Subs not used: Smithies, Sang, Watkins, Murphy, Colwill.