Match Report | Cardiff City 3-0 Hull City

Match Reports
Cardiff City secured their play-off spot with a comfortable victory over Hull City at Cardiff City Stadium on July 22nd, 2020.

Goals from Junior Hoilett, Sean Morrison and Danny Ward saw the Bluebirds pick up all three points. Neil Harris' men finishing the regular campaign in fifth place to confirm a play-off clash with Fulham.

Neil Harris made one change to the side that defeated Middlesbrough on the weekend with Marlon Pack replacing Will Vaulks in the starting XI. Pack had put in a fine performance in the win over Derby County eight days previous and missed out at the Riverside with a trapped nerve in his back. City went into the game knowing they needed just one point to secure their place in the end of season play-offs.

The Bluebirds began against the bottom side in determined fashion with forward Robert Glatzel going close twice inside the first ten minutes. The chances continued for the hosts, with Nathaniel Mendez-Laing's flicked effort after 11 minutes drifting just over before Glatzel saw a looping header tipped away.

City were in the ascendency and deservedly took the lead with 20 minutes gone. Junior Hoilett made the most of a poor clearance, running through and firing into the net left footed to give his side an important lead.

The Bluebirds maintained their control after scoring first but would've been relieved that a penalty kick wasn't given as Joe Bennett and Mallik Wilks clashed in the box on the half hour mark. 

Sean Morrison netted his third goal of the campaign against Middlesbrough last time out and he didn't wait long to add to his tally, netting for a second consecutive match to double the lead. The City skipper rose superbly to meet Joe Ralls' corner kick after 34 minutes, heading past George Long in the Hull goal.

This second goal helped to further alleviate any nerves the Bluebirds had about this important final match of the regular campaign. It was Neil Harris' side that looked most likely to net again late in the half, but a Mendez-Laing effort was denied by the feet of Long with a minute of the opening 45' remaining.

Hull's hopes of remaining in the Championship were slim before the match, and even more so having conceded twice in the opening half. But they fought hard in the second half - looking to break through the Bluebirds.

Kevin Stewart's shot from distance after 48 minutes was held well by Alex Smithies. Eight minutes later, they went closer. James Scott saw his shot at close range blocked by Morrison before Smithies saved well to deny Wilks' follow up.

Despite a spirited battle from the away side, the Bluebirds added a third to finish the game off on 83 minutes. Bennett's free kick was saved by Hull City goalkeeper George Long, but substitute Danny Ward made no mistake with the rebound, taking a touch before striking low into the bottom corner.

This comprehensive victory saw the Bluebirds secure fifth place in the Sky Bet Championship table - and a play-off double header with fourth placed Fulham.


Cardiff City: Smithies, Bacuna, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett, Pack, Ralls (Paterson 85’), Tomlin (Smith 85’), Mendez-Laing (Murphy 72’), Hoilett (Vaulks 63’), Glatzel (Ward 72’). Subs Not Used: Etheridge, Sanderson, Flint, Bamba.

Hull City: Long, Tafazoli, Stewart, Batty, Eaves (Toral 59’), MacDonald, Honeyman (Samuelsen 59’), Elder (McLoughlin 75’), Lopes, Wilks, Scott (Lewis-Potter 59’). Subs Not Used: Ingram, Burke, Bowler, Pennington, Magennis.