Cardiff City celebrate taking the lead against Coventry City

Match Report | Cardiff City 3-2 Coventry City

Match Reports
Cardiff City made it back-to-back home victories, earning a 3-2 victory over Coventry City at Cardiff City Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Dimitrios Goutas headed City into an early lead, only for Matty Godden to equalise for the visitors. The Bluebirds reacted well, with second half goals from Karlan Grant and Kion Etete earning all three points, despite an added-time goal from Godden.   

Erol Bulut made two changes to the side that defeated Swansea City in the South Wales derby this past Saturday, with club captain Joe Ralls coming into the starting XI, along with winger Ollie Tanner, who found the net and won a penalty against the Swans.

Dimitrios Goutas heads Cardiff City into the lead against Coventry City

City started brightly and forced an early chance, with the two Bluebirds wingers combining. Grant found space on the left to cross into the area, where Tanner was found free to head wide. Bulut’s men were rewarded for their fast start, taking the lead in the ninth minute. A dangerous corner delivery from Ralls was met by centre-back Goutas, who powered a header home.

The Bluebirds continued to apply pressure, as the ball came out to midfielder Manolis Siopis, who struck a powerful first-time effort just wide. In another positive attack, Grant broke down the left and delivered a dangerous low cross into the area, which didn’t quite find a City shirt.

Bulut’s side went again went close to doubling the lead through a cross into the box. Right-back Perry Ng delivered low towards Iké Ugbo, with the cross just evading the City striker. As City continued to show confidence in attack, Ugbo was again involved, striking just wide from Ryan Wintle’s accurate cross.

Despite City’s promising attacking play, the visitors equalised in the 36th minute, as Godden found the net from close-range, meaning the two sides went into the break level at a goal apiece.

Karlan Grant celebrates putting Cardiff City ahead against Coventry City

The Bluebirds reacted well to the visitors’ equaliser and looked dangerous in the early stages of the second half. City regained the lead with 62 minutes on the clock, as Wintle found a pocket of space and delivered brilliantly for Grant to head home at the back post. 

Coventry City went close to equalising for a second time, as midfielder Kasey Palmer struck towards goal from inside the area, only for goalkeeper Jak Alnwick, who signed a new contract with the Bluebirds this week, to make a fine save.

With Bulut looking to his bench for reinforcements in the last ten minutes, striker Etete made an instant impact, beating the offside trap and finishing clinically into the bottom corner. In added time, the visitors pulled a goal back through Godden, who headed in from close-range. However, City’s defence were resilient and ensured the three points.

The Bluebirds return to action this weekend, facing Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Sunday, September 24th, 3pm KO.  


Cardiff City: Alnwick, Ng, Goutas, McGuinness, Collins, Wintle, Ralls © (Robinson 82’), Siopis (Adams 90+5’), Grant, Tanner (Etete 82’), Ugbo (Méïté 71’). Subs not used: Rúnarsson, Romeo, Panzo, Sawyers, R Colwill.

Coventry City: Wilson, Binks (Kitching 73’), DaSilva, McFadzean, Kelly © (Ayari 73’), Wright (Simms 83’), Latibeaudiere, Godden Van Ewijk (Sakamoto 52’), Eccles, Palmer (Allen 83’). Subs not used: Collins, Thomas, Bidwell, Obikwu.