Match Report | Stoke City 2-0 Cardiff City

Match Reports

Cardiff City suffered a 2-0 defeat to Stoke City on Saturday, February 22nd.

An unfortunate deflection off Callum Paterson from a corner gave Stoke the lead. Joe Allen secured the victory for the home side from two-yards with 18 minutes remaining.

City boss Neil Harris was forced to make a change to his starting side due to injury. The Bluebirds began all three matches against Luton, Huddersfield & Wigan with the same side, but Lee Tomlin was unavailable for the trip to Staffordshire. Forward Danny Ward began in his place.

20-year old England youth international Tyrese Campbell was a threat throughout the match for the home side and forced Alex Smithies into a smart save just six minutes in. The City No.12 getting down well to Campbell's low shot as he ran clear.

The first chance for the Bluebirds came with 18 minutes on the clock as Ward looked to capitalise on a neatly threaded pass from Will Vaulks. After allowing the ball to bounce wide on the right, Ward took aim with a half volley from 25-yards, Jack Butland denying him.

It was an end-to-end match, and it was fortune that helped Stoke break the deadlock with 25 minutes played. A dangerous corner kick bounced off City's Callum Paterson and into his own net.

City forward Ward was involved again after 32 minutes as his side pushed for a leveller. The 28-year old shot first time from Albert Adomah's cross, just wide of goal.

Stoke came out for the second half determined and went close twice inside the first six minutes of the restart. Nick Powell's left footed effort flew into the side netting after 46 minutes, before Campbell failed to capitalise on a rare moment of space just inside the area, curling wide on 51 minutes.

Campbell played a crucial part in the second goal of the match - helping his side double their advantage with 18 minutes remaining. The danger man saw two efforts saved by Smithies in quick succession, with midfielder Joe Allen nipping in to tap home from two-yards before the Bluebirds could clear.

Substitute Robert Glatzel was lively after entering the game, but he couldn't aid the Bluebirds in a fightback.


Stoke City: Butland, Allen, Bath, Ince, Chester, Smith, Martins Indi, Clucas, Powell (Cousins 81’), Campbell (Gregory 90’), Thompson (Collins 85’). Subs Not Used: Davies, Vokes, Oakley-Boothe, Tymon.

Cardiff City: Smithies, Richards (Whyte 90’), Bennett, Morrison, Nelson, Pack, Vaulks, Murphy (Hoilett 66’), Adomah, Paterson, Ward (Glatzel 69’). Subs Not Used: Etheridge, Flint, Bacuna, Ralls.