Swindon Town

Match Report | Swindon Town 2-4 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Cardiff City concluded their run of pre-season matches with another victory on Saturday afternoon, defeating Swindon Town following a dominant display at the County Ground.

First half goals from Max Watters, Andy Rinomhota and Ryan Wintle were complimented by Sheyi Ojo's goal after the interval, with the hosts responding twice in turn.

Swindon Town

The Bluebirds began strongly, controlling possession and territory throughout the early periods of the encounter. Ojo’s strike at five minutes was powerful and on target, though ‘keeper Sol Brynn was equal to the challenge.

City’s positive movement on the ball resulted in their opener before 15 minutes were played, as Watters netted his third pre-season goal with a strike from close distance, converting Callum O’Dowda’s neat low cross from near the hosts’ goalline.

Rinomhota doubled the lead a few minutes later, capitalising on a mistake at the back to beat Brynn and strike home into an empty net. The midfielder was unfortunate to not make it three later on in the half, but dragged his shot wide having been put through on goal.

Comfortable in possession and working hard to press without the ball, the Bluebirds were dominant with the half-time whistle approaching, pushing up the field whilst confidently finding space around every corner of the pitch.

Swindon Town

City’s third of the afternoon, scored just before the interval, was the result of some wonderful link-up play, with Ryan Wintle netting from inside the area. The midfielder was put through on goal inside the area by Watters, and showed great composure with his shot to round both his marker and the ‘keeper.

Ryan Allsop was tested five minutes after the break, with the hosts looking for a quick answering goal. The ‘keeper took on Ben Gladwin’s powerful effort with a snapshot deflective save, pushing the ball away from danger nicely.

Despite continuing to have the majority of possession once again throughout the second half, the hosts were able to pull a goal back with less than 20 minutes remaining, as Tyrese Shade struck low from inside the area, with Allsop not quite able to stop the effort.

Swindon Town

The Bluebirds were quick to reassert their three-goal lead two minutes later, however, as Sheyi Ojo added to City’s tally. Fresh off the bench, substitute Mark Harris did well to win a loose ball in the opposition’s half, and played a well-weighted ball through for his teammate to dispatch.

Though Jacob Wakeling was able to once again reduce the deficit in the final few minutes of the encounter, City’s final pre-season fixture concluded with an away victory at the County Ground, following another positive display by the Bluebirds.


Swindon Town: Brynn, Hutton, Reed, Gladwin (Clayton 70'), Williams (Khan 70'), Adeloye (Darcy 70'), McKirdy, MacDonald (Wakeling 70'), Harries, Shade, Brennan (Kanu 79'). Subs: Baudry, Ward.

Cardiff City: Allsop,Collins, Ng, Watters, Romeo, Wintle (Harris 75’), O’Dowda (Tanner 77'), Rinomhota, Sawyers (King 81'), Ojo (Whyte 77'), Kipré. Subs: Campbell, Denham, Alnwick, Bagan, Nelson, Sang, Phillips.