Cardiff City U21

U21 Match Report | Cardiff City 3-3 Sheffield Wednesday

Cardiff City's U21 side played out an entertaining 3-3 draw with Sheffield Wednesday at Cardiff City Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

Chanka Zimba scored a hat-trick for the Bluebirds, but a goal from Gui Sequeria and a brace from Bailey Cadamateri meant the points were shared. City also saw Josh Beecher sent off at the beginning of the second half.

Darren Purse opted to make three changes from the side that lost their opening game to Fleetwood Town last weekend. Jai Semenyo, Caleb Hughes, and Morgan Wigley made way for Isaac Jefferies, Dylan Lawlor, and Ollie Tanner.

Sheffield Wednesday made a bright start to the game and had two early chances. Gui Siqueria’s clever flick from a corner almost went in, but Jake Dennis got down to make a good save. Two minutes later, Favour Okunwuli almost found the bottom corner, but the ball trickled past the post.

The visitors would rue their missed chances as the Bluebirds took the lead. Jefferies carried the ball down the wing well, before finding Zimba in the box. The striker's first effort was blocked, but he smashed his second chance into the bottom corner to put City one up.

The home side were certainly in the ascendancy following their opener and had a flurry of chances. Tanner, Cian Ashford, and Joel Colwill all went close, but a combination of near misses and good saves from Pierce Charles kept the lead at one.

Kyle Kenniford

But that soon changed, as Wednesday scored two goals in the space of three minutes to go ahead. Siqueria was the first to get on the scoresheet as he headed in a high ball, before City failed to clear their lines, allowing Cadamateri to lash in from close range.

The two quick goals stunned City, and they didn’t have an answer to the visitors’ pressure. That was until the very last moment of the first half, as Zimba bagged his second. Beecher delivered a fine low cross from the left which found the forward, who slid in to make sure the hosts went into the break level.

In the early exchanges of the second half, City’s task became harder as they were reduced to ten men. Beecher’s challenge on a Wednesday player was late, with the referee sending the full-back off for a second bookable offence.

The red card didn’t deter the Bluebirds from trying to play on the front foot, and they were rewarded for their efforts with a third goal. Tanner drove into the box magnificently, and although his effort was parried by the keeper, Zimba was on hand to tap home for his hat-trick.

As the minutes ticked down, City defended resolutely and sniffed out any Wednesday attack. But a momentary lapse of concentration in the dying embers of the game allowed Cadamateri to fire in his second of the game to draw the Owls level in stoppage time.


Cardiff City: Dennis, Beecher, Lawlor, Benjamin ©, Giles, Kenniford (Cook 57’), J. Colwill, Tanner (Johnson 68’), Jefferies (Wigley 35’), Ashford, Zimba (Twose 68’). Subs not used: Thomas.

Sheffield Wednesday: Charles, Siqueria (Flannery 90’), Reed, Adetoro, Wilson (Cook 63’), Glover, Fusire, Shipston, Cadamarteri, Buchan (Maltby 46’), Onukwuli (Moss 83’). Subs not used: Hall.